Retiring abroad

Myn parents have lived in Ibiza for the last 20 years and have just accepted an ofer on their place and are coming back to the UK. They are going to rent somewhere in future 3 months at a time now. Gutted as thats the holiday home gone.
Yes they won’t be the only ones. It’s sad. That’s all anyone can do now, rent. Even then, as a non-EU citizen you can only stay a maximum of three months in any six month window including travel. So once you’ve done your three months you’re stuck back in the UK for another three months with no room for a weekend away in France or whatever. Brexit is the biggest pile of shite we have ever been duped into voting for - not that I did mind you.

Yes they won’t be the only ones. It’s sad. That’s all anyone can do now, rent. Even then, as a non-EU citizen you can only stay a maximum of three months in any six month window including travel. So once you’ve done your three months you’re stuck back in the UK for another three months with no room for a weekend away in France or whatever. Brexit is the biggest pile of shite we have ever been duped into voting for - not that I did mind you.
Yeah, they are buying a place back in the UK as their perm base now and renting for when they go back. They always came back to the UK July / August time and then xmas / new year, so they will probably spend feb - April and Sept - Nov in Ibiza. right pain in the backside for them at their age when they should be able to just enjoy retirement how they want.

watched a program the other day, quite a few Brits in Jalipur northern India,sell your house and live your life out like a king, you probably couldnt even get rid of your pension every week things are that cheap, £1 for a haircut gives the idea of prices medical bills are that cheap and in better hospital standards than the UK

have been thinking seriously about southern Spain for a while now - planning to retire this summer

Brexit aside the inheritance laws in Spain are something else and after speaking to a lawyer our original plan to buy a place has gone out the window

was able to get an Irish Passport - could see it would be useful for residency etc and obviously that makes things a lot easier so looking at renting maybe for a year from this September whilst keeping our place in U.K - figure that would give me a real feel as to whether its for me or not - as others have said its not like being on holiday

have been thinking seriously about southern Spain for a while now - planning to retire this summer

Brexit aside the inheritance laws in Spain are something else and after speaking to a lawyer our original plan to buy a place has gone out the window

was able to get an Irish Passport - could see it would be useful for residency etc and obviously that makes things a lot easier so looking at renting maybe for a year from this September whilst keeping our place in U.K - figure that would give me a real feel as to whether its for me or not - as others have said its not like being on holiday
Have a look at El Campello north of Alicante. We did 3 months there in 2019 and loved it. Not too many expats and a real Spanish feel. It's 20 mins by road to Alicante airport and also on the tramline into Alicante in 20 minutes for 80p or an hour north to Benidorm if that's your type of place.

I would love to retire to the sun but know I'd be home sick in no time. However I would like to take winter months from November, returning for the darling buds of May to our beautifully enchanting Kingdom.

However, we do like the abroad crack and one of our our favourite program's is A Place In The Sun and I've forgotten how many episodes and seasons we've watched during lock-down. Simply sit in your shorts, turn up the heating, crack a cold bottle and allow your imagination to take flight. Yesterday we watched a brilliant episode from the island of Nevis.

The lady was born on Nevis and schooled at St Kitts which is visible from the headland. She came to England and met her husband both carving out a niche for themself. She became a solicitor and he was a developer of some descriptor, anyway I digress as they had a budget of 350k for their island home in the sun.

The thing with Nevis is that it's a buyers market, with homes for sale far outweighing the purchasers, some being on the market for many years. For the budget mentioned the houses they were shown were palatial in the extreme surrounded by acres of landscaped gardens so they were in for a treat. Yes, I guess I would love to retire abroad but only for six month trenches. Snow birds if you will.

Last edited:
Have a look at El Campello north of Alicante. We did 3 months there in 2019 and loved it. Not too many expats and a real Spanish feel. It's 20 mins by road to Alicante airport and also on the tramline into Alicante in 20 minutes for 80p or an hour north to Benidorm if that's your type of place.
Thanks for that mate will certainly have a look
As for Benidorm - understand that people love it but not for me I'm afraid - I know what I want unfortunately for me what I want and what I can afford are 2 different things

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.