Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Devi Sridhar's opinion earlier this morning that this will be more like Measles than flu. If vaccines are successful it will be largely eliminated but for flare ups in rich countries with a continued struggle for the poor. She's followed that opinion up by suggesting if the vaccine trials on kids are successful then that's where we're headed.
This is a reason why I am still not happy with the continued distrust of the AZ vaccine. Or indeed the Russian Sputnik. For entirely different reasons. Regardless of the different basis for such distrust.

I see South Africa now being reportedly spooked into getting shut of their AZ supplies as not being good enough to fight their variant. This is bound to hit confidence everywhere.

I am happy with the data and reviews I have seen and had no qualms taking that vaccine but the bigger issues here are the economic war that is coming. Many companies are investing their futures in selling large stocks of their 'virus killer' and the temptation to do down rivals when any credible hitch appears will grow.

Oxford and Sputnik are very cheap compared with the others and the probability of the third world going for them at the expense of potentially slightly more efficacious but far les affordable commercially created vaccines is going to slow down the ability of the third world to get this under control if there is a do down the cheap stuff and persuade to pay more for the better ones perception created.

Not only will this mean millions more will die needlessly but it means the risk of more mutations happening is ever present and normality will never return to the world unless the world has this under control.

If you want to eradicate and seal yourself off from everywhere else then it might be a good policy. But nobody can or will so it is not at all sensible.

We need to expedite the eradication (as far as that is possible) globally not just nationally and we need to do that as a global unit and agree terms and protocols pronto on how.

We should be doing that now rather than waiting for this vaccine national interest to create problems as it will if we let it.

A global leader ready and willing to see the bigger picture here needs to step up.

Who will it be?

Last edited:
This is a reason why I am still not happy with the continued distrust of the AZ vaccine. Or indeed the Russian Sputnik. For entirely different reasons. Regardless of the different basis for such distrust.

I see South Africa now being reportedly spooked into getting shut of their AZ supplies as not being good enough to fight their variant. This is bound to hit confidence everywhere.

I am happy with the data and reviews I have seen and had no qualms taking that vaccine but the bigger issues here are the economic war that is coming. Many companies are investing their futures in selling large stocks of their 'virus killer' and the temptation to do down rivals when any credible hitch appears will grow.

Oxford and Sputnik are very cheap compared with the others and the probability of the third world going for them at the expense of potentially slightly more efficacious but far les affordable commercially created vaccines is going to slow down the ability of the third world to get this under control if there is a do down the cheap stuff and persuade to pay more for the better ones perception created.

Not only will this mean millions more will die needlessly but it means the risk of more mutations happening is ever present and normality will never return to the world unless the world has this under control.

If you want to eradicate and seal yourself off from everywhere else then it might be a good policy. But nobody can or will so it is not at all sensible.

We need to expedite the eradication (as far as that is possible) globally not just nationally and we need to do that as a global unit and agree terms and protocols pronto on how.

We should be doing that now rather than waiting for this vaccine national interest to create problems as it will if we let it.

A global leader ready and willing to see the bigger picture here needs to step up.

Who will it be?

Absolutely agree. Hopefully the WHO recommendations on all countries using the AZ on all age groups may improve the confidence going forward. The headlines on it not preventing mild illness should NOT be taking precedence over headlines that it prevents severe disease and death (as I'm led to believe this to be the case?) as well as having a positive effect in reducing transmission. This is it's intended purpose, is it not? If this was the only vaccine available in the entire world, it would be celebrated globally. Countries and their media seemingly being picky given everything that's being experienced is beyond belief.

Who will it be?

I do really think there has been a PR war against the AZ vaccine

I don't know if it's because it's non for profit so certain Pharma and Healthcare providers want against it, or because it's so tied to the UK that other countries have come out against it.

Then certain media outlets in the UK putting it down to reduce faith in the Gov.

But it's pretty shocking.

That SA study that's slated the AZ vaccine, when compared to the one that hailed the Pfizer vaccine is basically a smear.

Edit: For developing and producing it at cost they should be getting the nobel prize

Scotland data:

45 deaths - was 48 last week

908 cases - was 895 last week.

4.9% positive - was 5.9% last week

1449 patients (down 23) - was 1729 last week

110 ventilated (down 5) - was 117 last week

33 long term ventilated - up 3

Scotland vaccination update:

1, 173, 445 first doses given - 59, 820 yesterday - was 64, 878 day before

14, 009 second doses given - 443 given yesterday - was 371 day before

England hospital deaths

By region

96 Midlands, 79 South East, 69 London, 61 East. 56 North West. 55 NE & Yorkshire, 20 South West

By age group:

20 - 39 (2) 0.4%

40 - 59 (28) 6.4%

60 - 79 (193) 44.3%

80 PLUS (213) 48.9%

The under 60s lowest in a while but the gap between the two older age groups closest I can ever recall.

And yet again (5th time this last week or so after hardly ever before) the over 80s sub 50%

This is very clear now that the over 80s are not dying in the same proportion as they used to do.

I do think vaccination of that age group starting longest ago is reasonably clear as to one factor why.

We should now see this become more obvious and quite possibly that group to fall below the 60 - 79s as these are only now starting to become immunised in large numbers so their obvious vaccine impact in these figures will still be some weeks away yet.

I do really think there has been a PR war against the AZ vaccine

I don't know if it's because it's non for profit so certain Pharma and Healthcare providers want against it, or because it's so tied to the UK that other countries have come out against it.

Then certain media outlets in the UK putting it down to reduce faith in the Gov.

But it's pretty shocking.

That SA study that's slated the AZ vaccine, when compared to the one that hailed the Pfizer vaccine is basically a smear.

Edit: For developing and producing it at cost they should be getting the nobel prize
The testing was poor ( no over 55s), the marketing was poor implying it had a higher efficacy than the initial 62%,described as an 'intriguing' possibility ( not a scientific term). The 'apparently'poor effectiveness against the SA vaccine was not really it's fault but didn't help it's cause.
Despite all this it could be the vaccine most beneficial to the world.
We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.