Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately it is going to be a choice. And choices often have consequences without them being discriminatory.

Have the vaccine or accept that your choice to not do may limit what you can do if others decide that it puts them at risk.

I agree we should not impose this onto those who prefer not to have it but that choice has to have ramifications otherwise why would lots of people who do not think they are at risk bother to get vaccinated because others who are at risk need them to stay healthy too?

And we only come out of this by protecting the vulnerable as best we can if the vast majority of people will do the right thing here.

I doubt it will be a universal policy but some places will likely decide that to bring back the people they need to rebuild their business they have to go with the majority. And the overwhelming majority will have the vaccine - that is obvious already - and those who cannot for medical reasons should be exempted. But if you opt out by free choice then I do not see it unfair to expect consequences as your choice to opt out has to be matched alongside the choice of the business involved to do what it thinks most of its clientele will prefer.

After all you have a choice to pass a test and drive a car because a car can hurt people if not used correctly. Or to choose not to do this and get the bus. But not to opt out AND still drive a car and hope you do not hurt anyone a a consequence.

Choices work both ways and inevitably have consequences whichever choice is taken.
I take your points. I will be having mine for sure but my point is say someone hates needless or has a phobia of needles?
Are you saying to them people sorry you can't watch your sports team, you can't go to a nightclub and you can't go on holiday?
I'm not sure that's legal or more to the point do we want society going this way?

Worldometers is a good source of info for data regarding Covid but for some reason the active cases number is clearly all over the place and is best ignored. While the figure for active cases is obviously wrong, it's nothing to be suspicious of because if you click on Australia and scroll down past all the graphs and charts to "Latest News", it gives a more realistic overview with regards to new cases with 7,4,6,2,6,1, and 6 new cases being reported over the past 7 days making just 32 in total.
You are spot on.

I thought having a daily total say in the UK of cases in hospital to total cases might give a snap shot of how the vaccine is trending and impacting on degree of infection and to a lesser extent how the vaccine is impacting on transmission as both numbers hopefully for you long time sufferers in the UK for example are trending downwards at a much quicker rate than it would under a full lockdown with no vaccine which would see numbers decline over time but obviously at a much slower rate.

Notwithstanding strict lockdowns I trust the number of active cases each day and hospital numbers are rapidly on the decline now from earlier downward trend due to lockdown alone and community compliance indicating how well the vaccines are working.

We have no cases in ICU and 42 active cases from overseas travellers.

its only because of our concentration of population in the capital cities and the fact we are an island and for a large period of time closed our borders to overseas travel that we got the outcome to date.

90 per cent of the country have never had a case nor would they with closed borders between states which occurred regularly from Feb 2019 to Jan 2020 as soon as community transmission occurred.

We bungled hotel quarantine particularly in Melbourne and couldn't keep the virus out of nursing homes which accounted for 80 per cent of the deaths numbering 909 to date.

Extremely high rates of community compliance to lockdown restrictions and high rates of daily testing were the only reason why despite a full lockdown in Melbourne for 4 months the numbers came down from 500 per day to zero in that period of time.

It does look like a lot of countries will require you to have had the vaccine to enter..

I take your points. I will be having mine for sure but my point is say someone hates needless or has a phobia of needles?
Are you saying to them people sorry you can't watch your sports team, you can't go to a nightclub and you can't go on holiday?
I'm not sure that's legal or more to the point do we want society going this way?
A phobia of needles? Behave. If people don’t want the vaccine (aside from genuine medical reasons) then as you say it’s their choice. But then that will come with some inevitable consequences. Especially for travel (similar to having to have yellow fever/typhoid etc for travel to certain countries). I’d expect this will be key to opening up international travel from summer onwards.

I think they are apparently doing this late at night on the assumption the old and vulnerable will not be around then. So if true that is the kind of rule breaking I can accept. At least is not done without regard.
Problem is when they go home only one spreader will quickly pass it on to family members.

The virus is so easy to pass on despite the fact a significant percentage will never pass it on whether they have symptoms or not.

As morbid and depressing as this virus has been we are fortunate as a global citizen its mortality rate is not that high.

We can only pass on our best wishes to those who have been impacted having lost loved ones and the millions who have succumbed to it however.

Would the same person who 'hates needles' really die on the street when hit by a car and the ambulance arrives?

If so they need to get some help as that might cost them their life one day and getting over this phobia is relatively simple.

If not and 'that is different' as they would do it to save their own life obviously - just not have a vaccine 'they' do not need - then I think my point is made. As genuine phobia is one thing and selfishness another.

I know someone scared of needles who was afraid but still went as they were (wisely) more afraid of Covid.

She was amazed at how pain free it was and might even now have a flu jab!

It was the fear of expectation that was the problem.

That can be overcome - catching Covid or killing someone you love because you chose not to vaccinate never can be.

I don’t want a society where people are free to infect people with a highly contagious and possibly fatal disease . I’m quite sure diabetics don’t enjoy injecting themselves daily but they do .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.