Dortmund (H) - CL QF | Post-Match Thread

Some 'interesting' comments. We weren't at our best that's for sure, missed some chances that we really should put away and could have had a pen - I thought Can kicked Rodri's knee, but strangely he went down holding his head and there didn't appear to be any contact there. Got the rub of the green with Bellingham's disallowed goal IMHO. But.....never gave up, even though Rodri and Cancelo were oddly off colour. I genuinely believe we will go there, everyone will be a lot sharper and I can see us scoring 1 or 2, as their defence can be opened up.....and then we'll see what Dortmund are made of. Yes I would have liked 2-0 but I'm far from unhappy. Dortmund had a go and scored a fine goal, but we still showed some fight when we weren't brilliant - and you need that sometimes.

We certainly could of done with Bernardo legs in midfield. I though Dortmud had the extra edge in midfield winning the ball and passing through the lines to be fair they made it really tough for Gundogan and Rodri tonight.
Fernandinho is a must starter in the away leg I reckon.
It wasn’t really a false 9 tonight as Bernie did actually play up top, and consequently wasn’t his fault he couldn’t impact the game. Kev would have been better there as he’d have played his normal game in the gaps. I agree about Dinho too, he’s just a bit quicker in the mind and doesn’t get caught in possession as easily as Rodders. I think point was proved about Gundo too that it’s no good playing him deeper with Rodders, they are just both too slow, he needs to be getting in the box or not be in the side. I’d leave Gundo out in the second leg.

For me, I‘d play Dinho, Kev and Bernie in midfield. Then Jesus, Phil and Raz front 3.

Gundo and Bernie lost a bit of form already before the internationals. They started 3 games in 6 days for Germany and Portugal respectively which didn't help. Dias is playing every 3 days since God knows when.

At least one of Gundo/Bernie plus Dias, Rodri and Kevin should be rested against Leeds. Foden is young and can recover quickly.

Think we will play much better against Bayern/PSG if we beat Dortmund. Teams like Spurs, Monaco and Lyon are more difficult for us for some reason. By contrast, we were fantastic against Real.
Don't think it's form with Gundo, it's playing him next to Rodri. He's far less effective, his best performances came when KDB was out. No we are trying to fit them both in.

Before the game I would have picked the same team.

For next week I'd drop Gundog for Jesus and drop Bernardo back into midfield. We need that extra zip there and the presence of Jesus in the centre.

I'd also consider Walker off for Cancelo and Zinchenko in at left back, but it's a bit risky given their pace on the break. On the flipside Walker played with fire a couple of times tonight taking too many touches and nearly giving them chances. So on balance I'd do it.
Seriously I would without hesitation bring Ferno back to collect those balls out of defence form Eddy.
"Nobody Does It Better" as the song goes !!

Darke said that it’s the first time that we have won the first leg of a Champions League quarter final.

I thought we won in Paris, but that was a 2-2 draw, wasn’t it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.