Dortmund (H) - CL QF | Post-Match Thread

Plenty of people saying they have to come out and go at us in the Second Leg don’t seem to understand European two-legged football!

They need ONE GOAL to advance. They could have scored more than a couple tonight!

I think the return fixture will be a tight game. We need to stop them scoring, whilst trying to score ourselves, while their priority for the first half, possible 60 minutes, is DON’T LET CITY SCORE!

We see this all the time against lower clubs in the PL. They come to the Etihad, play 10-1 and don’t even come out of their shell if we score! Why? Because they know it’s only a 1 goal game and they still have to stop us from scoring for an hour BEFORE THEY CAN TRY TO NICK A GOAL!

It’s a similar set-up here. They know the keys to a victory are two simple things:

1) Stop us from scoring, and
2) Score one goal anytime in the game.

They’re simply looking for a 1-0 or better. WE are the ones who will feel like we need a goal, to even out the away goals and THAT WILL FORCE THEM TO COME OUT in an attempt to get at least two.

If we concede in the first half, they can play 4-5-1 to their hearts content, and we saw how difficult they were to break down.

Grabbing the first goal in the first half is required for a much better chance of getting through.
We should have scored 4 so not that difficult to breakdown...

First time we have come away from a quarter final first leg not losing since PSG in 2016 which is a huge positive. Lots to do next week though, keep it tight, make them come at us. I would give Sterling a start as all that extra space to run into would be right up his street. Maybe even a case for Fernandinho to start next to Rodri.

Some of the over playing at the back was scary at times. Kevin De Bruyne just seems to get better and better.

I think we struggled for times with their pace and physical strength . They were a bit Kloppy and Bernie,Gundogan and Phil got out muscled until they tired. I think we’ll just nick it in the away leg.

Bad performance from most of players yesterday, Rodri awful, Dias, Cancelo, Silva, Ederson not good, Stones, Mahrez and Gundogan with issues also, Walker good but sloppy at times, it's a wonder we won actually with so many players being off for such an important game also!
Foden and KDB have been excellent.

False 9 did not work, when Jesus went in the whole team improved.

Our defense was far below its standards yesterday. Pressing was bad and one big issue, that it's one of the things we are always mediocre anyway, but yesterday were awful, was that our back central defense, center backs especially, in counterattacks of them never really guarded their players to presh them to lose the ball, but just were stepping back, stepping back....

Their attack could have scored 1 more at least, they had the chance. But we should have scored 2-3 more, especially in last 20 minutes we had 4-5 chances and 2 huge ones. Have Messi in these situations and would be 4-1.
For their disallowed goal i insist it was an indirect foul, as he went to the ball with his leg extended so it was a play in a dangerous manner. Ederson should know better of course and not be that careless in a CL quarter final!

We played with a fear of CL in mind, fearing the failure. Bad attitude. But thankfully we did not fail, even though we tried hard to do it. I think result is great.
I'm always pessimistic but having played in that bad way, with so many players subpar and yet take a win, i think in the reverse this fear would be not be there and no way most players will be that bad again, so i think we will score twice.

But first Leeds. Take a win and seal it!

We dont need to score, unless they score.
You don't understand European second legs, we don't need to score unless they score, but we make it look like we are trying to score when we really aren't, unless they score then we need score, unless we have already scored during any period of the game when we really didn't need to score, you got it now.

What are your thoughts on the whole trying to ban us from the CL and forcing us to take it to the CAS? Not against City? Nothing dodgy about how they went about that?
You said that Uefa might have a word with the officials before the next match to even things up.
I don't think that will happen.
The CAS case was heavily against City. This was done via rules and regulations, tribunal etc. though.

Likewise I have to agree with you,
I was not unhappy with the team selection but the longer the game went on then it was obvious that Ferno should have replaced Rodders.
I firmly believe that Ferno will start next Wednesday in place of Rodders.
Ferno on a yellow i think. Can see why wasn't used last night, could easily of picked up a second yellow in that game. Expect him to start Wednesday

I think the number of games is catching up with Diaz. No time to rest him at the moment, but rest of the back 4 needs to support him like he's done for the past 6 months.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.