Dortmund (H) - CL QF | Post-Match Thread

Completely agree that we were nowhere near our best, but I'm surprised by the amount of negativity on here. At the end of the day we were playing Borussia Dortmund in a CL QF, not a routine home game against Sheffield United. Disappointing to concede that away goal, but if you'd offered me taking a 2-1 lead into the second leg before the game, I'd have taken it. And let's be honest, had Phil had his shooting boots on, it could have easily been 4-1...

Very confident for the second leg, can't see us not scoring, once we stepped it up in the second half in particular, we looked like we could create a chance to score at every attack. Counter attack caused us problems at times, which will be increased if Sancho is back for them, but if we manage the game well we'll be fine.

Bad performance from most of players yesterday, Rodri awful, Dias, Cancelo, Silva, Ederson not good, Stones, Mahrez and Gundogan with issues also, Walker good but sloppy at times, it's a wonder we won actually with so many players being off for such an important game also!
Foden and KDB have been excellent.

False 9 did not work, when Jesus went in the whole team improved.

Our defense was far below its standards yesterday. Pressing was bad and one big issue, that it's one of the things we are always mediocre anyway, but yesterday were awful, was that our back central defense, center backs especially, in counterattacks of them never really guarded their players to presh them to lose the ball, but just were stepping back, stepping back....

Their attack could have scored 1 more at least, they had the chance. But we should have scored 2-3 more, especially in last 20 minutes we had 4-5 chances and 2 huge ones. Have Messi in these situations and would be 4-1.
For their disallowed goal i insist it was an indirect foul, as he went to the ball with his leg extended so it was a play in a dangerous manner. Ederson should know better of course and not be that careless in a CL quarter final!

We played with a fear of CL in mind, fearing the failure. Bad attitude. But thankfully we did not fail, even though we tried hard to do it. I think result is great.
I'm always pessimistic but having played in that bad way, with so many players subpar and yet take a win, i think in the reverse this fear would be not be there and no way most players will be that bad again, so i think we will score twice.

But first Leeds. Take a win and seal it!
27 wins from last 28 games. Let that sink in. A ridiculous playing schedule since December. You shouldn’t be surprised when City have an off day. But the key is our team still find a way to win. Don’t be pessimistic. Just enjoy this wonderful team you support

Think it says a lot that we weren’t anywhere near our best and yet still really should have put that tie to bed in the second half and post match, the Dortmund players were saying how hard we were to play against.

I think we forget just how high the expectations are that we set ourselves at times.

In a sense, ir's good that we have some difficulties, for this helps the team grow and develop further.

I might have been a bit worried if we had smashed Dortmund 5:0. Now, hopefully, we know better our weaknesses and on what to work in order to improve. Setbacks wrt performances may be used by Pep to make us stronger.

Completely agree that we were nowhere near our best, but I'm surprised by the amount of negativity on here. At the end of the day we were playing Borussia Dortmund in a CL QF, not a routine home game against Sheffield United. Disappointing to concede that away goal, but if you'd offered me taking a 2-1 lead into the second leg before the game, I'd have taken it. And let's be honest, had Phil had his shooting boots on, it could have easily been 4-1...

Very confident for the second leg, can't see us not scoring, once we stepped it up in the second half in particular, we looked like we could create a chance to score at every attack. Counter attack caused us problems at times, which will be increased if Sancho is back for them, but if we manage the game well we'll be fine.
I think knowing we need to go there and win (or draw) probably does us a favour, to be honest. We're at our best when we don't overthink things. But the away goal is important, but I think it is overplayed in importance sometimes. We've gone out of this tournament because we've lost stupid opening games, which we didn't do last night.

Are we really criticisng a team that has won 27 of their last 28 games whilst enduring a very very tough schedule of playing every 72 hours ? Reality check , title in the bag , Carabao Cup final , FA Cup semi-finals , and one foot in the Champs league semi-finals , we were not at our best but we found a way to win.
This squad of players and manager are unbelievably good.

Was impressed with Dortmund , they are having a shite season in the league but looked a good side last night.
I think it'll be nervy but 2-1 City 2nd leg

We deserved the win and should have scored more goals. That said we were not at our best and Dortmund defended much better than they have in the Bundesliga games I have seen this season. They countered our formation by snuffing out Cancello and Bernardo. I think Zin will play left back in Dortmund and Jesus will start. We missed his energy.
The CL is always about fine margins and this time we came down on the right side of those margins. I am pleased that we were more cautious and less open because in the past we have suffered badly against Liverpool, Monaco, and Lyon, by being too Gung Ho. Roll on Leeds.

Are we really criticisng a team that has won 27 of their last 28 games whilst enduring a very very tough schedule of playing every 72 hours ? Reality check , title in the bag , Carabao Cup final , FA Cup semi-finals , and one foot in the Champs league semi-finals , we were not at our best but we found a way to win.
This squad of players and manager are unbelievably good.
We are, pal. You'll get called a happy clapper for daring to be happy about the best form in Europe. Someone up thread didn't think we'll win games playing like we did last night while winning games. If you can't take joy from City today, you'll never take any joy from football.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.