Dortmund (H) - CL QF | Post-Match Thread

Great to get the last-minute winner. In all honesty, we had enough chances to finish off the tie before their equaliser. Would have been gutting to go to Germany with them in the driving seat.

I'd be shocked if we don't score at least 2 there, which means they'd have to score 4.

Are we really criticisng a team that has won 27 of their last 28 games whilst enduring a very very tough schedule of playing every 72 hours ? Reality check , title in the bag , Carabao Cup final , FA Cup semi-finals , and one foot in the Champs league semi-finals , we were not at our best but we found a way to win.
This squad of players and manager are unbelievably good.
Would dispute the assertion that we have one foot in the SF but point taken. All things considered it was a reasonable result and if we play well next week we will go through. Oh and it's great to hear no whining about corrupt officials, for now anyway.

I would agree with that. OK possibly not his best game for us by his usual standards and he got outmuscled by Haaland too easily when he burst through, but no doubt he'll look at that and learn from it, because he seems that type of player. His organisation and leadership were still immense last night. No concerns for me.

Part of the success of Dias and Stones this season has been down to the control we've exerted over opposition. When you control the game your defenders are able to excel when faced with rare attacks, because they are fresh and ready.

Last night our central midfield couldn't exert themselves on Dortmund. That meant pressure on our defence, and pressure inevitably brings mistakes.

All things considered Dias and Stones did as well as they could.

I was about 75:25 we'd get past Dortmund. Now I am about 60:40.

Thought we played well but the equaliser was a hammer blow. Felt great to dig the win out and rescue the night but now we know Dortmund are well in it. No room for error.

Great to get the last-minute winner. In all honesty, we had enough chances to finish off the tie before their equaliser. Would have been gutting to go to Germany with them in the driving seat.

I'd be shocked if we don't score at least 2 there, which means they'd have to score 4.
We bossed the game but didn't create enough chances and Foden could have done a little better with the opportunities that came his way. He did well with the goal though.

I wish now we had started Jesus and Sterling

I was about 75:25 we'd get past Dortmund. Now I am about 60:40.

Thought we played well but the equaliser was a hammer blow. Felt great to dig the win out and rescue the night but now we know Dortmund are well in it. No room for error.
We need the first goal next week. Concede first and they can just sit back knowing 1-0 sends them through and they can wait for the right moments to kill us on the counter with Haaland. It’s delicately balanced and the first goal is everything.

In a sense, ir's good that we have some difficulties, for this helps the team grow and develop further.

I might have been a bit worried if we had smashed Dortmund 5:0. Now, hopefully, we know better our weaknesses and on what to work in order to improve. Setbacks wrt performances may be used by Pep to make us stronger.
You’d have been a bit worried if we’d won 5-0? I think you may be on your own there

I thought Mahrez had a decent run last night, I am glad we didn’t see Sterling as I don’t think he has the control that Mahrez has.
They know how to attack, but the amount of times we LET them into the box was shocking.
As for the lad nicking the ball off Eddy, we have seen in most games now, you can’t do that, yet Penus Jenas was screaming for it to be allowed, and when they did it on the edge of their box to Kev, it was a very muted comment.
I didn’t see anything wrong with Bellingham’s in real time or when it was replayed back. The ref got it wrong and it was a lucky break for us, however I disagree with Carragher’s assertion that the game should have been 2-2. If that goal had stood Dortmund would have protected the draw rather than push for a second away goal, we would have gone for a second and would probably have had time for a third. Overall I felt the scoreline was fair and these non-city pundits should remember that we are the English club and question wether their views and attitudes would have been different if it had been their team out there or even another English club.

We are, pal. You'll get called a happy clapper for daring to be happy about the best form in Europe. Someone up thread didn't think we'll win games playing like we did last night while winning games. If you can't take joy from City today, you'll never take any joy from football.
They(the team) have set the bar toooo high so every mediocre or even semi-good performance seems bad.
I don't remember who said it, it was some NBA basketball coach, but he said that sometimes you have to look in the past to see who you were in order to realize where you are now. It would be a bit handy for some of us :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.