#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in the its quiet thread but for the people saying we need to sell him who do we bring in to replace him? Sterling is not a normal case. Hes massive commercially, i didnt realise how big he is ill go down and say hes the most commercially valuable player in the club. He brings in probably alot of money for this club. look at this

Sterlings one of the biggest advertising players we have, hes everywhere in Pepsi adverts, Hm adverts , Gillette , hes in a film documentary coming out about racism, Nike were using him as a poster boy in most of these hes wearing the city kit somewhere in the advert. I cant think of another player at the club apart apart from Sergio who is advertised this Globally hes also apparently signing a boot deal with New balance to be the new face for football for them. Even Jordan are trying to sign him to a deal.

All these adverts bring eyes to City. especially the ones where hes wearing our kit. Hes bringing in money for the club even if his on the pitch play is bad this season. Commercially hes massive for the club. So if you do sell him you need to bring a player in that can have the same commercial reach as Sterling.
Maybe this is one of the issues with him. He’s doing too much off the pitch. Get the lad concentrating solely on his game, practising and honing his skills on the training pitch, putting in extra hours to work his way out of this awful dip in form. His value to City is worth far more through him putting in decent performances on the pitch than advertising a pair of trainers or whatever.

I posted this in the its quiet thread but for the people saying we need to sell him who do we bring in to replace him? Sterling is not a normal case. Hes massive commercially, i didnt realise how big he is ill go down and say hes the most commercially valuable player in the club. He brings in probably alot of money for this club. look at this

Sterlings one of the biggest advertising players we have, hes everywhere in Pepsi adverts, Hm adverts , Gillette , hes in a film documentary coming out about racism, Nike were using him as a poster boy in most of these hes wearing the city kit somewhere in the advert. I cant think of another player at the club apart apart from Sergio who is advertised this Globally hes also apparently signing a boot deal with New balance to be the new face for football for them. Even Jordan are trying to sign him to a deal.

All these adverts bring eyes to City. especially the ones where hes wearing our kit. Hes bringing in money for the club even if his on the pitch play is bad this season. Commercially hes massive for the club. So if you do sell him you need to bring a player in that can have the same commercial reach as Sterling.
Is this monetised by City? If so, great.

Kaz I've to hand it to you. Your ability to ignore the direct answers to your questions, and then keep asking the same shit 100 times is unmatched.

I'll paste my reply from earlier again. Maybe this time you'll find the time to read it.
--------------------------

Sterling scored 20 goals in the league last season. He scored 5 goals in the first 3 matches (1.6 pG), then 6 goals in the next 21 matches (0.28 pG) and finally 9 goals in 9 games (1 pG) after restart.

His goal drought in the middle of the season where he just scored 6 goals encompassed gameweeks 4 through 29. City dropped 25 points in this period.

I don't need to say this, but all goals are not created equal. Scoring the 3rd goal in a 3-0 rout is different from banging in a 90th minute match winner. Calvert-Lewin has scored 14 goals this season, Lacazette has scored 11. If the only things that matters is the absolute number, then would you say that they have had an equivalent season?

To be honest, I don't even need to compare Sterling with other players, I'll compare him with himself. He scored 17 league goals in 18/19 and 18 goals in 17/18. Would you agree that he was more influential in those two former seasons, even though he scored less compared to the 19/20 season?

I find this gotcha argument of "he scored 20 goals last season" really grating. As if football doesn't need context, goals scored is the only thing that matters, not when and how. It's even funnier because when people criticise Sterling for last season, they say 20 goals, and then when people point out the pitiful 9 league goals that he has scored this season, they say "look at other things that Sterling does, not just goals". Well which one is it? Does context matter along with goals, or is it whichever fits the narrative better?
All his fault we dropped those twenty five points ? Nothing to do with the whole team ?

Concentrate on this season then, if that helps. It covers sufficient time and fixtures to be viewed as a trend.

You’ve seen the arguments and I’m not going to repeat them. My point is they are validly expressed opinions, based on observation. If you disagree, that’s cool, but once you accuse people of lying you’ve lost the debate hook, line and sinker.

Same goes for certain bell-end wafters who try to stop debate by implying inside knowledge and saying they know best.

Keep it open without falsely denigrating others, yes?
I say it how i see it

All his fault we dropped those twenty five points ? Nothing to do with the whole team ?
I didn't say it was all his fault. Maybe your concern is that the rest of of the team was really awful and he didn't get the chances to score goals. Is that so? I'm happy to pull up some numbers and see to what extent this is true. But it will take time for me to do that analysis.

Btw there's another theme in this thread which you're glossing over, i.e. a player getting paid 300k pw is usually supposed to be the talisman of the team - the ability to drag us through when everyone is shit. And not for one week or one month, but season after season. Here are some other names who were previously or currently being paid 300k pw (or thereabouts) - Kevin, Kun and Yaya. Do you see the difference? Money doesn't grow on trees, if it did we would pay every player 1 million per week and dance together in la la land. Actions have consequences, our wage bill is massive, these seemingly small decisions affect the long term performance and sustainability of the club.

This whole 18-24 month thing needs to go away. His form has only been poor this season compared to his usual standards.

Your going to have an extremely hard time convincing me and the general football fan that ANY player who has 40 or so goal contributions in a season had a POOR season. And frankly, the arguments are extremely bad:

1) Yeah he had 41 goal contributions but he should have had more.

I mean... this is just a ridiculous standard some people have, he isn't Messi or Ronaldo. Very few City players in history get 40 goal contributions as consistently as Sterling has (he's done it 3 seasons in a row, and I don't think some fans on here recognize how amazing that is).

2) Goals and assists aren't everything.

Sure, but they are the biggest part of a winger's game, and it's how the majority of people judge their contributions nowadays, because running back to defend and workrate has become the expectation amongst top teams. There are other more specific stats about goal involvements too, but they are more useful to further backup players who aren't necessarily getting all the goals and assists (for example KdB and the pre-assists per se), this doesn't take away from direct contributions though.

So yes, he is below standard this season, but to say it's been 2 years is wrong and you are placing an unfair standard on Sterling.

this season more like half dozen games and pep seen it and dropped him..

Kaz I've to hand it to you. Your ability to ignore the direct answers to your questions, and then keep asking the same shit 100 times is unmatched.

I'll paste my reply from earlier again. Maybe this time you'll find the time to read it.
--------------------------

Sterling scored 20 goals in the league last season. He scored 5 goals in the first 3 matches (1.6 pG), then 6 goals in the next 21 matches (0.28 pG) and finally 9 goals in 9 games (1 pG) after restart.

His goal drought in the middle of the season where he just scored 6 goals encompassed gameweeks 4 through 29. City dropped 25 points in this period.

I don't need to say this, but all goals are not created equal. Scoring the 3rd goal in a 3-0 rout is different from banging in a 90th minute match winner. Calvert-Lewin has scored 14 goals this season, Lacazette has scored 11. If the only things that matters is the absolute number, then would you say that they have had an equivalent season?

To be honest, I don't even need to compare Sterling with other players, I'll compare him with himself. He scored 17 league goals in 18/19 and 18 goals in 17/18. Would you agree that he was more influential in those two former seasons, even though he scored less compared to the 19/20 season?

I find this gotcha argument of "he scored 20 goals last season" really grating. As if football doesn't need context, goals scored is the only thing that matters, not when and how. It's even funnier because when people criticise Sterling for last season, they say 20 goals, and then when people point out the pitiful 9 league goals that he has scored this season, they say "look at other things that Sterling does, not just goals". Well which one is it? Does context matter along with goals, or is it whichever fits the narrative better?
Nail on head.

His overall play and contribution has been severely lacking of late,12/18/24 months......who gives a fuck,its been long enough to be chronic and not just a patch......,but it was previously disguised by the fact he was regularly putting the ball in the net.Now that part of his game has gone quiet,his performances are standing out for what they are,predominantly average to poor.

He no longer impacts games,or has the ability to change one,to the degree he did previously or he is expected to do so.He is at the stage of his career where he should be improving,not regressing.
A move (very unlikely as it would be) would benefit both him and the club,IMO.

Saying all that,i still hope he finds the ingredients that have vanished from his cupboard and we can start calling him top class again.

I didn't say it was all his fault. Maybe your concern is that the rest of of the team was really awful and he didn't get the chances to score goals. Is that so? I'm happy to pull up some numbers and see to what extent this is true. But it will take time for me to do that analysis.

Btw there's another theme in this thread which you're glossing over, i.e. a player getting paid 300k pw is usually supposed to be the talisman of the team - the ability to drag us through when everyone is shit. And not for one week or one month, but season after season. Here are some other names who were previously or currently being paid 300k pw (or thereabouts) - Kevin, Kun and Yaya. Do you see the difference? Money doesn't grow on trees, if it did we would pay every player 1 million per week and dance together in la la land. Actions have consequences, our wage bill is massive, these seemingly small decisions affect the long term performance and sustainability of the club.
Some were for selling kev recently when he was getting back to fitness, that is how ridiculous this place gets , did he earn too much then ?

The money is swaying opinions

Some were for selling kev recently when he was getting back to fitness, that is how ridiculous this place gets , did he earn too much then ?

The money is swaying opinions
I don't want to pull Kev into this discussion because this is a Sterling specific thread. But I'll say this on the matter. My opinion of Sterling is based on 6 seasons of data (including the current season) - 2 seasons he was good for his age, 2 seasons he was world class and 2 seasons he has been poor or average. Kevin has also been here for 6 seasons - 5 seasons he has been world class and one season he was mostly injured.

The people who were ready to sell Kevin because of 2 average games need to take a long hard look in the mirror. However, if Kevin is poor or average for 2 seasons straight while earning 300k pw, then believe me when I say that I'll start thinking about his place in the squad too. I don't worry too much about that day though, the best midfielder in the world is the best for a reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.