Borussia Dortmund (A) - CL QF | Post-Match Thread

But this is my main problem with the handball rule, they've taken a common sense approach, which admittedly makes the rule greyer in terms of consistency and application, and tried to apply a series of multiple nested if, but and when clauses that try to legislate for a near infinite amount of possibilities.

Extracted from the fa rule (the whole thing is nearly unreadable);

It is an offence if a player:

even if accidental, immediately:
touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger

--Few lines later--

Except for the above offences, it is not an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:

directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)

So which rule takes precedence?!?! They are in contradiction of each other given last night's incident with Can. For me it's pen all day long and thankfully the ref had interpreted with unnatural body position but the law clearly states for both interpretations. How worrying.
You effectively have to read the rule backwards...

In simpler terms... It is NOT a handball if the ball touches the hand/arm directly from the player's own head UNLESS the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger.

His arm is outstretched and away from his body, so clearly has made his body unnaturally bigger. (and the ball hits the skin of his arm, not his shirt) Penalty every day of the week.

Ironically if he had missed the ball with his head, then the ball would probably have just hit his shoulder... No penalty!

Re-watched the highlights, Im sure its been mentioned elsewhere but what a shite show the commentary was.

I don't want or expect bias, but just some balance and ok, maybe a tiny bit of bias - a tiny bit of pleasure that an English side were winning.....

Summed up when Foden controlled the ball out of the sky, hooked the ball across for the chance for Marhez.....it was all about Bellingham's clearance...yes, good block but that was not the only action of note in that part of play.

The commentary really lets down the coverage - Mcmanatwat, Keown and Jenas.

McCoist every game please, i know he is on Prime but he is fair, honest, consistent and genuinely enjoys the game. Lescott maybe? No doubt to they will wheel out Danny mills next

Like VAR, bts commentary sucks the life out of the game

Really chuffed me off!!!

Right ok, interesting twist on whether it was going to hit anyway.

It's really unbelievable this is under scrutiny, or was, in previous years it wouldn't even been a consideration of not being a handball. At footy today, a very high proportion of lads said no pen, come of his head. I mean what?? Previous years none of them would have commented at all
It hasn't even been raised on the refs' chat site... Just not an issue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.