#27 | João Cancelo - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO it was a sending off last night. (The ref was abysmal for the rest of the game though) Cancelo made a poor choice and the team (especially Torres) paid the price. He is a full back who is good at lots of things and poor at a few - just like Walker...but different.

Overall I like the choice between Cancelo and Walker. Could be better obviously but could be a lot worse.

IMO it was a sending off last night. (The ref was abysmal for the rest of the game though) Cancelo made a poor choice and the team (especially Torres) paid the price. He is a full back who is good at lots of things and poor at a few - just like Walker...but different.

Overall I like the choice between Cancelo and Walker. Could be better obviously but could be a lot worse.
Cancelo did nothing wrong last night. That happened due to a combination of Wellbeck's diving and the officials shockingly dishonest performance.

Welbeck has always been very good at diving but it's irrelevant in this case. Cancelo wrapped his arm around his and stopped an attack- deserved red card.
Exactly which bit of Cancelo caused Welbeck to starfish? It certainly wasn't his arm, or his leg, or his feet, or his hips....

Cancelo was slightly ahead of Welbeck and held his line which he is perfectly entitled to do. If anything, Welbeck cut's slightly across Cancelo and the arm you say he 'wrapped around' Welbeck is simply him trying to avoid bringing him down. Cancelo goes down first there and I guarantee no foul.

It was CHEATING from Welbeck. What transpired afterwards was incompetence/dishonesty/corruption from the referee and VAR.

Bollocks. Welbeck puts his right arm inside where Cancelo is running.

Why keep his arm up at that angle?

If you know a player is trying to steal a foul then you don't give them the chance.

He put himself in a bad position when he misjudged the ball. If he hadn't he would have beat Welbeck in a foot-race and been able to clear the ball.

The fuck up was allowing the ball to bounce and halting his run. Badly judged. He is not a natural defender. His positives lie elsewhere. Walker could have made the same mistake but his pace would have got him out of it.

Last edited:
Welbeck has always been very good at diving but it's irrelevant in this case. Cancelo wrapped his arm around his and stopped an attack- deserved red card.
Cannot agree, Cancelo did not wrap his arm around Welbeck. He raised his left arm, maybe to fend off Welbeck, and Welbeck's right arm came across Cancelo's and they were briefly intertwined. Also Welbeck's leg brushed Cancelo's before the arms entwined. How many angles did Var use on this.

Cannot agree, Cancelo did not wrap his arm around Welbeck. He raised his left arm, maybe to fend off Welbeck, and Welbeck's right arm came across Cancelo's and they were briefly intertwined. Also Welbeck's leg brushed Cancelo's before the arms entwined. How many angles did Var use on this.
For all we know they didn't even look at it. We've only got the TV commentators word that they did, and that would have come from the VAR match commander...

Exactly which bit of Cancelo caused Welbeck to starfish? It certainly wasn't his arm, or his leg, or his feet, or his hips....

Cancelo was slightly ahead of Welbeck and held his line which he is perfectly entitled to do. If anything, Welbeck cut's slightly across Cancelo and the arm you say he 'wrapped around' Welbeck is simply him trying to avoid bringing him down. Cancelo goes down first there and I guarantee no foul.

It was CHEATING from Welbeck. What transpired afterwards was incompetence/dishonesty/corruption from the referee and VAR.

Diving and exaggerated falls will always be part of a professionalised game, just as much as cynical "professional" fouls. Defenders have to defend against the conditions they find themselves in not the utopia of fairplay.

His concentration let him down and he compounded the first mistake. If he wasn't the last man, it would have looked like a clever foul. Unfortunately he was.

I'm not interested in anything that fits under the umbrella of "AGENDA" like the end paragraph. When I always read something like this, I always think "well why do you bother watching it" if it is all just a fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.