#27 | João Cancelo - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why keep his arm up at that angle?

If you know a player is trying to steal a foul then you don't give them the chance.

He put himself in a bad position when he misjudged the ball. If he hadn't he would have beat Welbeck in a foot-race and been able to clear the ball.
Where was he going to put his arm, Welbeck was leaning across him and he was off balance following Welbeck's leg touching him. Watch it on OS it was a tangle made look worse by Welbeck's "experience".

Where was he going to put his arm, Welbeck was leaning across him and he was off balance following Welbeck's leg touching him. Watch it on OS it was a tangle made look worse by Welbeck's "experience".

I have watched it countless times on the club's official YouTube channel.

Looks like he tugs at him at the end.

Could be because his feet fell from him after the clip from Wellbeck or the clip could be because he tugged him. Hard to tell without a freeze frame play-by-play from each angle with precise timestamps.

Important thing is that Cancelo learns from the sending off and improves to cut out these lapses. As I've said already, if he judges the ball bounce correctly he should be able to get it and clear.

Ridiculous decision to send him off but Cancelo has to use this as a warning to his future attitude. Recently we've seen him become a bit more petulant and also throw himself to the floor holding his face etc. Some players rightly or wrongly can by their actions get a reputation amongst refs and other teams. He will be wound up even more in the future hoping for a reaction, no doubt about it. As crazy as the call was he must stop all the dramatics and realise that his ability alone is above most. Take the lesson sunshine.

I have watched it countless times on the club's official YouTube channel.

Looks like he tugs at him at the end.

Could be because his feet fell from him after the clip from Wellbeck or the clip could be because he tugged him. Hard to tell without a freeze frame play-by-play from each angle with precise timestamps.

Important thing is that Cancelo learns from the sending off and improves to cut out these lapses. As I've said already, if he judges the ball bounce correctly he should be able to get it and clear.

How is Cancelo meant to learn from that incident? He did a good job until Welbeck clipped his leg and put his arm across him. What else is he meant to do?

Ridiculous decision to send him off but Cancelo has to use this as a warning to his future attitude. Recently we've seen him become a bit more petulant and also throw himself to the floor holding his face etc. Some players rightly or wrongly can by their actions get a reputation amongst refs and other teams. He will be wound up even more in the future hoping for a reaction, no doubt about it. As crazy as the call was he must stop all the dramatics and realise that his ability alone is above most. Take the lesson sunshine.
Nothing wrong with Cancelo's attitude last night. He wasn't screaming in the ref's face, and he wasn't kicking off. He stated his case to the referee, and then when the VAR decision came back, he took a second or two to process what had just happened and then walked off. He was certainly angry, but then he'd just been f*cked over by a cheating forward and a bent ref.

If he judges the ball bounce correctly he should be able to get it and clear.
Compare Cancelo with Dani Alves in the first clip of the video below.

Defenders are taught to (where possible) always avoid letting the ball bounce. But if you can't prevent it you have to correctly anticipate where it is going to land and adjust your body position accordingly. Cancelo failed to do that.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Cancelo's attitude last night. He wasn't screaming in the ref's face, and he wasn't kicking off. He stated his case to the referee, and then when the VAR decision came back, he took a second or two to process what had just happened and then walked off. He was certainly angry, but then he'd just been f*cked over by a cheating forward and a bent ref.
Yep he didn't react badly at all last night, I think he was amazed at the stupidity of the ref and by how easily Welbeck went to ground - I was talking about recent games he's played when he was booked for booting the ball away and seemed a little petulant by going down clutching his face. I know in the Italian leagues it happens a lot but he's such a good player he shouldn't get dragged into certain situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.