Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

He should have changed things much earlier, way before half time.
I am wondering if Pep, whilst managing us, has EVER made a change before half time? I don't recall it.

It's pretty unusual generally these days tbf but boy did we need it yesterday. Should have changed it after 10 minutes.

Playing a DM wouldn't have made a difference. Chelsea had our number from minute one.

Well I agree that we don't know if it would have.

However, put yourself in the players position when the line-up was announced. Every single one of them would have been thinking "This isn't what has worked so well all season. This is the exact opposite in fact.'

This has to have had an effect on their mentality out there

Still can't believe that in the biggest game of the season, Pep decided to go against what had worked best right up until that point. As if he learnt nothing from Dortmund, or PSG.

Playing a guy alone in a position that he hasn't played all season, where he's been largely awful ever since joining us, and moving him from the position that he's finally had a breakout season in. Where he was settled and clearly playing his best football, to having all his weaknesses exposed.

The brain fart to end all brain farts.

All those whining that Pep fucked up would be the same ones lauding him as a genius if his team selection had paid off last night.

Simple fact is Chelsea were well drilled and nullified our threat, and we made mistakes. Personally I thought the early antics of the referee unsettled our players, but we have to be stronger in that kind if situation.

Still had a great season, and we will learn from this.

Lost to Chelsea 3 times in 2months without laying a glove on them. I think Peo helped them by insulting them in the FA Cup semi where he picked a second team. Azpilecuta comments after game were telling he said ‘the CL trophy had already been handed out’. I’m absolutely devastated let’s not forget Chelsea have struggled this last few weeks and last night we managed 1 shot on target. Just as he gave David Silva 5 mins against Lyon he gave Dinho and Aguero fuck all opportunity to make a difference. Not a single one of our front 5 got going and that was mainly due to most of them starting out of position. Gundogan as DM was a disaster. We didn’t control any aspect of that game.

Sick of reading this crap about Sterling shouldn't have been playing. He's scored 10 goals from 31 Prem starts this season. On that basis Chelsea should have lost because they picked Werner - he's only scored 6 from 35 starts so Tuchel could have dropped Werner for the same reasons based on that theory.

I cannot believe that so many people are so naive that they think all you need to do is pick your current best 11 players and you'll win. I can't believe I'm having to say this, but it doesn't quite work like that.
Picking an unbalanced and experimental line up and formation isnt exactly a recipe for nailed on success either.

Last edited:
Just thinking about this time next season, when we're in the final, and another 25/30,000 of us will probably make the trip. I'm thinking about that pre match moment when we get the team selection. At that point, we'll probably know - again - whether it will be our year, at last, or whether we've wasted a our money.
I want to go, but, I'm not sure I could deal with it if I was there and this were to happen again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.