CPR don’t be afraid to have a go

That was the point of opening checking the airway, I didn’t want to over complicate it, I was taking it in the context of a football match so apart from the tongue they really shouldn’t have a foreign object in there, but point taken.
Yes, thanks for the reply. I pondered as to whether to post it as didn't want to be seen as a pedantic nor criticising an excellent post but just thought if someone is a beginner it needed that initial instruction.

I used to run courses for unemployed 16-24 year olds and each course had a St John's Ambulance 3 day First Aid Course included. The most i ever had to deal with in real life was 2 women fainting - one in a supermarket and the other (a pregnant women) in the school playground.
Both times others tried to get them straight up and I just went in, firm voice and insisted they lay down, took my jacket off as a pillow, asked people to move away and give space and for one person to go and get the relevant first aider (in case of the pregnant women i suggested an ambulance). Once the respective first aiders were there and details exchanged, my work was done and off I went.

Not true bud,initailly apply the Airway Breathing Circulation (ABC) method and if needed use a finger to hook out any obstruction.The chance of being bitten when someone is in arrest is none.
Yes I was thinking about checking for blocked airways when dealing with seizures. Had plenty of experience of that with children with epilepsy. Thats when you don't stick your finger in!

Do this, and find out where your local defriblillators are and they are easy to use , but if you get the chance find yourself a local free course on it, only takes a couple of hours to learn how to do CPR and use a defibrillator.

Can't people sue you if haven't had official training/don't do it correctly etc?

Edit: But thankfully the answer does seem to be that although people have tried, no one has successfully sued someone for trying.

Last edited:
Not in the uk you won’t get sued. Always always do something. Has anyone seen those new electronic cpr machines that the paramedics use. Absolutely brutal but a real great piece of kit. Puts into context how deep you should go when giving compresssions.
It obviously feels unnatural to break ribs etc but to be effective needs must.

so pleased that Eriksen appears ok though and outstanding work as usual by the medical staff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.