What if we just went with Delap, Jesus, and Torres?

We would be handicapping ourselves hugely. It's not impossible to win the league but we would be heavily reliant on a few players and would also need our rivals to have average seasons as we would get nowhere near the points tallies of recent seasons.

Everybody screams Torres is a striker whenever he scores a goal, I don't disagree he looks much better there but if he was playing as a striker for another side, we wouldn't be looking at him. as an alternative, it makes sense but we have plenty of alternatives already in jesus, sterling and the kdb/bernardo/foden false 9. we need an undisputed number 1 striker and he's not an aguero replacement.

Delap hasn't yet played in a game where he isn't double the size of his opponent and can't just rely on bullying them yet, he won't be playing any meaningful minutes for us next season. Pep would play any senior midfielder as a false 9 before starting Delap in a big game.

It’s the impossible debate as we don’t see them day to day.

Are we potentially willing to sacrifice a league challenge to find out?

Thats the £100m question.

It could save £100m to find out. A part of me would prefer investing in these young players as I think it’s more rewarding than splashing out record transfer fees.

If we don’t buy Kane or Grealish then no one else will this summer so if the gamble doesn’t work out then we can look to re engage with them next summer.

I don’t think we would win the league if we did but then the likes of KDB and Sterling would not be happy. KDB just signed a long term contract on the basis we will be the team to beat over the next 3/4 years, he wouldn’t be happy sacrificing a year just so the club could save some money which leads me to think we will get one huge money transfer target over the line.

I rate Torres and think Delap has loads of potential (although my exposure to him is rather limited), but at the end of the day we are competing for 4 trophies. As of now, they are more potential than finished project, and it would be a mistake to rely on potential. Torres can play a part, and maybe Delap is ready to contribute, but it would be huge risk to count on that imo

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.