Climate Change is here and man made

This is where there needs to be far more coverage of this. Not more moaning about the current coverage of it, more coverage, more awareness, more action.
I suggest that is impossible. In fact I'd also suggest people are so overwhelmed with the constant stream of it, they are numb to it now. A bit like Coronavirus news - people are sick of hearing about it. That's not to say people don't care about the planet, but other than "doing their bit" then there's not much any individual can do about it.

I don't think further coverage - were it possible, but isn't anyway - would have any effect other than to make people even more numb to it.

Uninformed group think? Scientists worldwide who believe there needs to be huge change to tackle climate change and other green issues are in the vast majority compared to those who don’t. My comment about indifference was talking about the world as a whole, including governments, not about this thread.
Probably because there is no public appetite at all for the dramatic changes to peoples' way of life that would be needed. Stuffing your used plastic bottles into a seperate bin? Sure no problem. Taking 2 hours to get to work and 2 hours back on public transport every day, instead of the 40 mins round trip in your car? Not such much.

Let alone the not buying the new trainers, or the next TV, or the new car or the new shirt, or the new anything, because it was all made using energy from fossil fuels, sent to the port using energy from fossil fuels, shipped using fossil fuels, trunked up the M6 using fossil fuels and dropped off by Amazon. Using fossil fuels. Or how about never going on a plane ever again?

The changes needed are incompatible with peoples' daily lives and no government will impose sudden changes which guarantee them losing the next election. Therefore change is necessarily more gradual than scientists would urge.

I'd top myself now if I were you mate. Save all the grief etc.
It's only the truth unfortunately mate. I will be able to enjoy my life, the greater effects of this are perhaps 50 years away so I can only hope that our kids will be able to do the same. Let's hope they are clever enough to work out how to blast billions of tons of rubbish into space or maybe they will invent cars that run off sea water?

Perhaps the only remaining option is to dismiss it, remain ignorant and enjoy it whilst it lasts..

this-is-fine.0.jpg

It's only the truth unfortunately mate. I will be able to enjoy my life, the greater effects of this are perhaps 50 years away so I can only hope that our kids will be able to do the same. Let's hope they are clever enough to work out how to blast billions of tons of rubbish into space or maybe they will invent cars that run off sea water?

Perhaps the only remaining option is to dismiss it, remain ignorant and enjoy it whilst it lasts..

this-is-fine.0.jpg
I'm not sure whether I should say, "This is the case", or "Sadly, this is the case".

Anyway, I am cautiously optimistic. The IPCC says some changes are now irreversible. Even that I think is not true, because what they mean is "are now irreversible in the short term". That I accept: Ice will continue to melt and seas will continue to rise. But to suggest Icecaps can NEVER grow again? Nonsense, of course they can. So it is reversible, just not any time soon.

But other effects I think will be very reversible. "Climate Repair" is a huge growth area and I cannot believe it is beyond the wit of man, over the next 50 to 100 years, to figure out how to bring CO2 levels down. Even to bring them down dramatically if needed. In my own mind I am certain we can and will do so.

I'm not sure whether I should say, "This is the case", or "Sadly, this is the case".

Anyway, I am cautiously optimistic. The IPCC says some changes are now irreversible. Even that I think is not true, because what they mean is "are now irreversible in the short term". That I accept: Ice will continue to melt and seas will continue to rise. But to suggest Icecaps can NEVER grow again? Nonsense, of course they can. So it is reversible, just not any time soon.

But other effects I think will be very reversible. "Climate Repair" is a huge growth area and I cannot believe it is beyond the wit of man, over the next 50 to 100 years, to figure out how to bring CO2 levels down. Even to bring them down dramatically if needed. In my own mind I am certain we can and will do so.
But again we say that nothing is beyond the wit of man but we are sprinting onward and it's not like we don't know that it's happening. We don't even need technology, we just need to work out how to stop at the stop sign.

I live up the road from one of the largest new estates in the country, it was once brown field land (Chorley ROF). They could of turned it into woodland or a park but instead it became a massive housing estate including loads of factories and so on. In 1930 there were just fields, no roads, no houses, nothing and now it's 4 square miles of concrete.

This is happening up and down the country, not just with houses but warehouses, production sites, factories, it's endless. How can you replace the total destruction of habitats and loss of species with technology?

The only technology that can help us is a time machine.

MARPOL Annex VI does. Problem is I don't know how they're going to enforce it.
Missed that.

Annex VI Prevention of Air Pollution from Ships (entered into force 19 May 2005)​

Sets limits on sulphur oxide and nitrogen oxide emissions from ship exhausts and prohibits deliberate emissions of ozone depleting substances; designated emission control areas set more stringent standards for SOx, NOx and particulate matter. A chapter adopted in 2011 covers mandatory technical and operational energy efficiency measures aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions from ships.
There are plenty of reports out there about how bad they are, seems to be something that needs to be worked on for sure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.