#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a player's out of form, I think it's a good sign that they can let something go, and move on. Letting every miss get to you is a surefire way to keep suffering from poor form. If that means laugh it off or give a rueful smile and then go again, fine

Also, "potentially costing City points" is extremely dramatic. How did Sterling potentially cost us points against Leicester, or in fact anyone we've played this season?
Speculation on my part. If sterling continues to be ineffective on the pitch the team will drop points. Pep has tried to play him through his downturn in form with no success. Something is not right and the club need to protect themselves going forward both financially and on the pitch. Currently this situation is only going one way and that is sterling leaving on a free.

Anyway, the topic is somewhat of a touchy subject. I will draw a line under it now if you don’t mind as it will end up going around in circles.

I’ve just watched the game again focusing on Raz, you’re talking absolute bollocks.
I watched mate as well, I thought he was truly awful and I like him. Give me times that he does something good. I will gladly watch again and admit I am wrong but I don’t think you will find anything

I could have saved you the bother charging to his defence. Sterling today is a spent force. Was he a fantastic signing and did he help carry the team? 100 % yes but that is not the sterling we have today is the point. He is showing no evidence that last season was a blip.

I am only judging him on his current form. His attitude is shocking. The laughing after he misses or fucks up play is not a good look. We should all expect and demand more from him.

Spent force was England's best player at England's best tournament since 66.

He's 26. Had you written stones off too before he recovered his form? If so, then there's a double standard. If not, why be so hasty?

I'm not charging to his defense performance-wise. I love sterling but I acknowledge that a move away may be the best for all concerned.... Then again I thought the same with Bernardo. But then again, I'm pretty reasonable and don't hurtle from one platitude to another.

My post is centred around the fact that certain grown men post angry diatribes lamenting every second of his performance, where other players get a pass. This weekend he played, what, 20 mins? In a game at a difficult away that we won, putting a lovely through ball on to fernandinhos foot. His cameo was anyone else and the posts would be along the lines of "not in his best form but put a decent ball through". I just don't get it. What more do you lot want? Him to play with the reserves?

Spent force was England's best player at England's best tournament since 66.

He's 26. Had you written stones off too before he recovered his form? If so, then there's a double standard. If not, why be so hasty?

I'm not charging to his defense performance-wise. I love sterling but I acknowledge that a move away may be the best for all concerned.... Then again I thought the same with Bernardo. But then again, I'm pretty reasonable and don't hurtle from one platitude to another.

My post is centred around the fact that certain grown men post angry diatribes lamenting every second of his performance, where other players get a pass. This weekend he played, what, 20 mins? In a game at a difficult away that we won, putting a lovely through ball on to fernandinhos foot. His cameo was anyone else and the posts would be along the lines of "not in his best form but put a decent ball through". I just don't get it. What more do you lot want? Him to play with the reserves?
Not interested in his England form. Hasty? He has been awful now for roughly 18months. I haven’t written him off but can only compare his form to when he was they driving force in the team to what he is now.

We all hoped stones would turn it around and once the off-field issues stopped he was superb.

I alluded to a few issues that sterling might have. No agent, less media scrutiny and an OBE.

In a nutshell his performances lack the grit and determination that got him to the top. It is similar to mcgregor. The drive for city is none existent and only sterling knows why which he himself alluded to at the euros.

I am merely observing his downfall without blue tints on.

I will leave it there, some good points raised by yourself and I agree with a few.

what-ever we fans see, Pep sees, which confuses the fuck out of me. The oppo defenses obviously think he is very dangerous with 2 or 3 on him, but nothing new there, i am genuinely lost for ideas as to what the "problem" or remedy is.

I watched mate as well, I thought he was truly awful and I like him. Give me times that he does something good. I will gladly watch again and admit I am wrong but I don’t think you will find anything
Perfect ball for Ferna, cut back that no one ran onto, chip onto GJ’s head although he should have shot, got into some great positions when a teammate didn’t find Jack being the glaring fuck up and that’s coming on as a sub, I’m not saying he was great but you were spouting bollocks.

Last edited:
Perfect ball for Ferna, cut back that no one ran onto, chip onto GJ’s head although he should have shot, got into some great positions when a teammate didn’t find Jack being the glaring fuck up and that’s coming on as a sub, I’m not saying he was great but you were spouting bollocks.

I've watched it back as well. Likewise, not saying he was great but his off the ball movement, quickfast/stop on the offside lane and positioning/finding space in the box was excellent. At least 4 or 5 times he was through IF Cancelo, Gundog, Grealish and, I think Bernardo, had threaded it into him.

Another couple of times it did get through to him for the "nearly attempt". First one was Jesus with a (too) hard pass from the right which bounced up to the top of his hip. Second, one when he broke the line brilliantly and Grealish chipped it over his left shoulder and it bounced up and Sterling did that weird lob thing. Could anyone else do better with that one? Well, it would have defied Aguero IMO.

Another time he was put through down the right side of the box, after a great run into space, had no option for a 1st time cross, did his trademark brakes routine and the cutback to nowhere near.

He had 2 carries with the ball. The 1st one 25 yards, beating one man off the legs, and culminating in the chip you mention to Jesus. Not the right ball that one and he could/should have carried on into the box and shot or gome wide. Either way he fucked up the ball after a good drive but hey ho the others mentioned above also fucked up by not getting the ball through to him 4 or 5 times.

The 2nd carry was the drive down the right late on when he was fouled.

Then again down the right the perfect ball for Ferna.

Then there were 3 times he lost the ball with his back to goal. He's not the best at that :)

I've watched it back as well. Likewise, not saying he was great but his off the ball movement, quickfast/stop on the offside lane and positioning/finding space in the box was excellent. At least 4 or 5 times he was through IF Cancelo, Gundog, Grealish and, I think Bernardo, had threaded it into him.

Another couple of times it did get through to him for the "nearly attempt". First one was Jesus with a (too) hard pass from the right which bounced up to the top of his hip. Second, one when he broke the line brilliantly and Grealish chipped it over his left shoulder and it bounced up and Sterling did that weird lob thing. Could anyone else do better with that one? Well, it would have defied Aguero IMO.

Another time he was put through down the right side of the box, after a great run into space, had no option for a 1st time cross, did his trademark brakes routine and the cutback to nowhere near.

He had 2 carries with the ball. The 1st one 25 yards, beating one man off the legs, and culminating in the chip you mention to Jesus. Not the right ball that one and he could/should have carried on into the box and shot or gome wide. Either way he fucked up the ball after a good drive but hey ho the others mentioned above also fucked up by not getting the ball through to him 4 or 5 times.

The 2nd carry was the drive down the right late on when he was fouled.

Then again down the right the perfect ball for Ferna.

Then there were 3 times he lost the ball with his back to goal. He's not the best at that :)
Pretty much how I saw it, wasn’t great but wasn’t some sort of walking disaster either.

I could have saved you the bother charging to his defence. Sterling today is a spent force. Was he a fantastic signing and did he help carry the team? 100 % yes but that is not the sterling we have today is the point. He is showing no evidence that last season was a blip.

I am only judging him on his current form. His attitude is shocking. The laughing after he misses or fucks up play is not a good look. We should all expect and demand more from him.

He is not a spent force.

There was absolutely fuck all wrong with his attitude.

He's not laughing. He did it quite a bit last season and also a few times in the Euros as well.
It's likely a trained sports psychologist thing. Rather than beating himself up after a close call he can put it behind him v quickly instead. Winners mentality :)

Pretty much how I saw it, wasn’t great but wasn’t some sort of walking disaster either.
Unfortunately Sterling's mere existence offends a lot of folk. I must admit it's reassuring to see a few posters like yourself who don't hate him come out of the woodwork these past couple of days. I thought I was crazy for not thinking he was awful/is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.