Next Manager after Pep

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s the criteria? Inheriting Barcelona 2 years after they’d won a European Cup, with key players from the Spain Euro 2008 team and a Messi who was naturally destined to be the best player in the world? Or winning default titles at Bayern while neutralising them Europe? Or winning a 3 titles in his 5 years here, in each of which he had the best squad in the league?

Where’s the evidence of superiority, that can’t be accredited to circumstance?

He doesn’t have a reference point of overachievement - the true barometer of greatness for a manager - like Ferguson did with Aberdeen or Klopp had with Dortmund and Liverpool.

You'd think he personally dragged the club up from Division 2 and won us our first Premier League title the way some on here deify him.

Yep. Winning means nothing if it’s inevitable - I’d rather have done it the Leicester way; an owner who wants to invest rather than monopolise, develop our own talent and win one title and cup in 5 years if it was achieved more organically than simply buying £1b of players to neutralise the competition.

Winning 14 games in a row with no margin of error is an overachievement, especially considering that the team had to play every midweek from December till May. No manager, not even Ferguson could have achieved that. Pep has some flaws in the CL, but let's not pretend like his achievements here would have happened by default. Last year's title without a striker was another masterclass from Pep.

sam said in the new episode of why always us that during players contract negotiations they were assured pep isnt done after 7 years

I remember Pep saying his time cycle at Clubs was dictated by other factors.

The obvious one, being the high intensity game he wanted, was quite demanding on players.

I also think Pep could potentially be mentally draining on players. I do think Pep can be prone to dark moods. Anyone who has lived with someone with mood swings, will know it can be quite draining on you mentally.

I have had the feeling all week, that there is something going on with him.

When Pep is happy, the team plays happy. When Pep is dark and moody, the performances reflect this.

Hopefully happy Pep back for Chelsea.
Agree totally with this. You can almost predict results from Pep's mood in press conferences. He seems to go from one extreme to another. I think the players all respect him as a brilliant manager but you can imagine he must be hard work. His intensity is his strength and his weakness. I think Pep himself has admitted this in the past and said he always needs a good deputy to keep him on track. Perhaps the fact he is living apart from his family (back in Barca) is affecting him. City is his longest stay anywhere as a Manager so we are in uncharted territory.

Agree totally with this. You can almost predict results from Pep's mood in press conferences. He seems to go from one extreme to another. I think the players all respect him as a brilliant manager but you can imagine he must be hard work. His intensity is his strength and his weakness. I think Pep himself has admitted this in the past and said he always needs a good deputy to keep him on track. Perhaps the fact he is living apart from his family (back in Barca) is affecting him. City is his longest stay anywhere as a Manager so we are in uncharted territory.
Should of went with someone more stable and long term. If we ever lost 5 in a row he would be off.

Haven’t followed the whole thread but one person whose comes across well when he speaks and who Pep (I think) referred to as the best young English manager - Graham Potter
yep, when his team has a bad run he just bells there Harry and ask's can his team have a good spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.