The Album Review Club - Week #116 - (page 1381) - You're Never Alone with a Schizophrenic - Ian Hunter

Super review. Really good stuff Rob! Don’t know this whole record, but “Check It Out” is my favo(u)rite of all his songs (along with “Scarecrow”). And I always liked him and thought him well-meaning.

Saw him at a restaurant in NYC about three years ago with my family. My wife — who has a true gift of recognizing celebrities in public — pointed to him and said “Know who that is?” I had no clue — I remember what he looked like 35 years ago — but she was right.
That's a good story. I wonder how many recognise him these days?

I''ll be interested to hear your thoughts on the album - being American (I think you are, right? Not just an ex-pat in Frisco?) I'd have thought you'd be more familiar with his works than many of my fellow-Brits, but it just goes to show.

Scarecrow is a superb album as well (including the song "Rain on the Scarecrow") and sits in my Top 20.

That's a good story. I wonder how many recognise him these days?

I''ll be interested to hear your thoughts on the album - being American (I think you are, right? Not just an ex-pat in Frisco?) I'd have thought you'd be more familiar with his works than many of my fellow-Brits, but it just goes to show.

Scarecrow is a superb album as well (including the song "Rain on the Scarecrow") and sits in my Top 20.
Yep, I'm a Yank. JCM has been popular here for a long while -- I recall LOVING "Jack and Diane" but not "Hurts So Good", and didn't know "I Need A Lover" was his. But with that insipid stage name you weren't sure what he was. Not Petty, not Springsteen, not country, not rock and roll. Was he . . . America's answer to Bryan Adams? It was hard to categorize him, so he categorized himself, after he'd made enough money being a star to write what he wanted. And good for him.

Yep, I'm a Yank. JCM has been popular here for a long while -- I recall LOVING "Jack and Diane" but not "Hurts So Good", and didn't know "I Need A Lover" was his. But with that insipid stage name you weren't sure what he was. Not Petty, not Springsteen, not country, not rock and roll. Was he . . . America's answer to Bryan Adams? It was hard to categorize him, so he categorized himself, after he'd made enough money being a star to write what he wanted. And good for him.

He's the guy Steve Earle wanted to be at one point!

I like Hurts So Good - you won't be surprised to know - but he produced many songs that are better. Jack and Diane on the other hand is still his best ditty in my book.

He's the guy Steve Earle wanted to be at one point!

I like Hurts So Good - you won't be surprised to know - but he produced many songs that are better. Jack and Diane on the other hand is still his best ditty in my book.
I don’t mind it — I thought it was okay. But I really liked “Jack and Diane.” I forgot about Authority Song which was a well-worn trope but not a bad one. I also like that one.

Great album by one of my favourite artists and a top review Rob,

I got into JM very earlier on, my brother had been to see John Miles at the Apollo and bought the supporting artist‘s Johnny Cougars album ‘A biography’
i was very into Springsteen at the time and thought it wasn’t a bad album although
not a patch on Bruce.I continued to buy his albums but it wasn’t until the ‘Scarecrow ‘ album that he could be favourably compared IMHO
i ve got all his albums and ‘The Lonesome Jubilee’ is probably my favourite
ive seen him live a couple of times ,first time was at the NEC in the early Nineties
i was blown away and surprised at how short he is.
The last time was at the Apollo In 2011, unfortunately by then his voice had gone but it was still a great show.

anyways it’s 10/10 for me.

I got into JM very earlier on, my brother had been to see John Miles at the Apollo and bought the supporting artist‘s Johnny Cougars album ‘A biography’
i was very into Springsteen at the time and thought it wasn’t a bad album although
not a patch on Bruce.I continued to buy his albums but it wasn’t until the ‘Scarecrow ‘ album that he could be favourably compared IMHO
ive seen him live a couple of times ,first time was at the NEC in the early Nineties
The last time was at the Apollo In 2011, unfortunately by then his voice had gone but it was still a great show.

Cheers. I think we may have discussed this before, but that NEC show in April 1992 was the one time I have seen him live and it was one of the best shows I’ve seen. Even though it was the tour for the more straight-Ahead rock “Whenever We Wanted” album, I was blown away by the way most of the songs were arranged for the whole band - including the aforementioned fiddle and accordion etc.

I don’t mind it — I thought it was okay. But I really liked “Jack and Diane.” I forgot about Authority Song which was a well-worn trope but not a bad one. I also like that one.
Authority Song is very good, as are Crumblin’ Down, Pink Houses and Warmer Place To Sleep. Unfortunately the “Uh-Huh” album is let down by the fact that half the songs are poor.

Cheers. I think we may have discussed this before, but that NEC show in April 1992 was the one time I have seen him live and it was one of the best shows I’ve seen. Even though it was the tour for the more straight-Ahead rock “Whenever We Wanted” album, I was blown away by the way most of the songs were arranged for the whole band - including the aforementioned fiddle and accordion etc.
I agree it was one of the best I’ve seen too and as you say the arrangements of his songs were excellenot,we were sat on the front row as my mate had some great concert connections back then,hence my comment on his stature as he jumped off stage and stood next to us.

I missed the 2011 tour, had ticket for Hammersmith but I had to sell it on (think I had to go abroad on a business trip).

I was at that NEC show in 1992 but also saw him in 1988 on the Lonesome Jubilee Tour at the Hammersmith Odeon when IIRC he only played in London: I know it was before we moved to the Thames Valley so I had to travel down to it. They played 8 songs from Jubilee in '88. :-)

I was also fortunate enough to be able to go to a promo club gig for Mr Happy Go Lucky at Dingwalls in London, thanks to a friend in the music industry.

Last edited:

'kin hell it's raining tens - looking forward to it..........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.