Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I know you're saying this in a jokey way, but I have a resolution for this one too.

The catering companies that run the food kiosks at City will know how exactly how many beers they sell in their individual kiosk. They should look back at the data for the lowest number of pints they've sold (let's say in the past 5 years) both pre-match and at halftime.

Around 90 mins before kick-off, they should have staff constantly pouring pints until they hit the pre-match figure. From about 30 mins in the first half, they should have staff constantly pouring pints until they reach the half time figure.

I do quite a bit of work for displays, so I'm frequently on the concourses 2 hours before kick-off and occasionally during the first half of games. The staff stand about with a finger up their backside when it's quiet, there's no proactivity.

The only other option is to move to bottles rather than pints which would speed it up as well.

I know you're saying this in a jokey way, but I have a resolution for this one too.

The catering companies that run the food kiosks at City will know how exactly how many beers they sell in their individual kiosk. They should look back at the data for the lowest number of pints they've sold (let's say in the past 5 years) both pre-match and at halftime.

Around 90 mins before kick-off, they should have staff constantly pouring pints until they hit the pre-match figure. From about 30 mins in the first half, they should have staff constantly pouring pints until they reach the half time figure.

I do quite a bit of work for displays, so I'm frequently on the concourses 2 hours before kick-off and occasionally during the first half of games. The staff stand about with a finger up their backside when it's quiet, there's no proactivity.

The only other option is to move to bottles rather than pints which would speed it up as well.
Who would drink a pint that's been poured an hour and a half ago?

Yeah it was jokey, but was brought to the forefront of my mind on a visit to AJ Bell stadium to watch Sales Sharks vs Quins last week.

Was in the nearest end-stand. Arrived quite early, queue for pints/pies was already quite long and they had IIRC 6 staff working in pairs for a bar frontage that could handle more than 6 customers at a time. I think it was the 1st day for some of them (so cut them some slack).

The pairs seemed to be mentor+new staff, and the mentor would deal with the non-drinks part of the order and check it's rung up correctly, whilst new staff poured pints, calculated payment and rung it up. All well and good. And perfect for a quiet time.

I think they had 3 sets of beer pouring equipment (3 or 4 choices IIRC) - hence, presumably, 6 staff.

So, apart from the 'have more staff' arguement, that doesn't really fly, as they'll try and keep costs down.

But they could easily have had 4 bar-servers and 2 drinks pourers if the staff were trained up (Can you switch a pump system to water for training (& cleaning) purposes?).

As per your comment, they should know from past experience/ticket sales how many pints they can shift in a match, so ramping up pre-pouring should be a doddle - a pint can sit quite happily for awhile.

So, dedicated pint pourers needed, whose sole (soul destroying) task is to pour pints constantly, whilst keeping an eye on which beer is being used the most, to pour that more frequently.

But, you need an area to store those pre-poured pints, and that's the issue, I presume, bars have.

The pumps could be on the sides/back of bar, with a table area for storing the poured pints. The table can't be too wide, as the pourer and server need to be able to reach the entire table - so it's not much of an improvement on leaving the pumps at the front, and providing a larger flat area perpendicular to the bar front, for the pint pourers to use. But that probably interferes with staff movement too much?

You should have savings in time, by having a dedicated pourer. But then you have the additional time of the handing over of the pourer's pint to the server and then to the customer, with the addition of an extra stage of the pint's travel, that will lead to having more accidents/spillage - ie there are 2 pint handovers between people, rather than the traditional 1.

I can understand why a normal bar with 10's of drinks choices can't do much on the their current designs. But for a bar with only 2/3/4 I'm sure there must be a better design/process.

And as an aside (if any AJ Bell management staff are reading this), you have a nice pie+pint discount price, it would be useful if the software in the tills could automatically work the price out for the server/punter, so that the staff don't have to mentally work out an order of (say) 3x2 different pints + 2x2 different pies, and select the appropriate different buttons for combinations on the screen. It would be simpler to just tap in the entire order and let the software work out any possible combinations - as per how supermarkets have been doing it for a least a decade on combination multi-buys.

A few points on this:

1 - your pint probably wouldn't be poured 'half an hour ago' because they'd serve the pints in order of when they were poured.

2 - Most in SSL1 would prefer a slightly older pint if it meant they didn't need to leave the stands on 35 minutes to get one.

3 - The beer is shite anyway, so what does it matter if it's been standing on the side for 5-10 minutes?

4 - Even if about 25% of people requested fresh pints, you'd still speed up the service and sell more beer. (You could have fast lanes where they only serve pre-poured and slow lanes for fresh pints).

Maybe a better system though, as I said above, is to use bottles instead. The only downside is the level of plastic pollution generated.

Yeah it was jokey, but was brought to the forefront of my mind on a visit to AJ Bell stadium to watch Sales Sharks vs Quins last week.

Was in the nearest end-stand. Arrived quite early, queue for pints/pies was already quite long and they had IIRC 6 staff working in pairs for a bar frontage that could handle more than 6 customers at a time. I think it was the 1st day for some of them (so cut them some slack).

The pairs seemed to be mentor+new staff, and the mentor would deal with the non-drinks part of the order and check it's rung up correctly, whilst new staff poured pints, calculated payment and rung it up. All well and good. And perfect for a quiet time.

I think they had 3 sets of beer pouring equipment (3 or 4 choices IIRC) - hence, presumably, 6 staff.

So, apart from the 'have more staff' arguement, that doesn't really fly, as they'll try and keep costs down.

But they could easily have had 4 bar-servers and 2 drinks pourers if the staff were trained up (Can you switch a pump system to water for training (& cleaning) purposes?).

As per your comment, they should know from past experience/ticket sales how many pints they can shift in a match, so ramping up pre-pouring should be a doddle - a pint can sit quite happily for awhile.

So, dedicated pint pourers needed, whose sole (soul destroying) task is to pour pints constantly, whilst keeping an eye on which beer is being used the most, to pour that more frequently.

But, you need an area to store those pre-poured pints, and that's the issue, I presume, bars have.

The pumps could be on the sides/back of bar, with a table area for storing the poured pints. The table can't be too wide, as the pourer and server need to be able to reach the entire table - so it's not much of an improvement on leaving the pumps at the front, and providing a larger flat area perpendicular to the bar front, for the pint pourers to use. But that probably interferes with staff movement too much?

You should have savings in time, by having a dedicated pourer. But then you have the additional time of the handing over of the pourer's pint to the server and then to the customer, with the addition of an extra stage of the pint's travel, that will lead to having more accidents/spillage - ie there are 2 pint handovers between people, rather than the traditional 1.

I can understand why a normal bar with 10's of drinks choices can't do much on the their current designs. But for a bar with only 2/3/4 I'm sure there must be a better design/process.

And as an aside (if any AJ Bell management staff are reading this), you have a nice pie+pint discount price, it would be useful if the software in the tills could automatically work the price out for the server/punter, so that the staff don't have to mentally work out an order of (say) 3x2 different pints + 2x2 different pies, and select the appropriate different buttons for combinations on the screen. It would be simpler to just tap in the entire order and let the software work out any possible combinations - as per how supermarkets have been doing it for a least a decade on combination multi-buys.
I go to the AJ Bell every now and again to watch Salford. It's a lot quieter at the Salford games, so there's lower demand on the bars. It also helps that you can drink during the game, so there isn't as much of a rush to get served pre-match and at halftime.

It's a different world Colin.
You're more likely to see grown men nagging their kids to come to the game now.

We had few distractions when we were kids. We lived in poorly heated houses, didn't have a TV, and those who did only had two channels on a 12" screen. There was no football on other than cup finals, and watching Flash Gordon/The Lone Ranger at the local fleapit on a Saturday morning was the highlight of most weeks.
Kids have easy access to an almost infinite number of tech items, 60" TVs, wall to wall sports, films, games... use of most of which will be shared with parents.

Despite all the hype around it, actually attending a football match is nowhere near as attractive to children as playing computer games.

Having raised two sons over the last 30 years, my own experience is that only one of them still has any interest in watching football. Furthermore, very few of their old schoolfriends have any more than a passing interest in football.
My youngest lad has been a season card holder for years... at my expense. He couldn't afford one on his own money and has far more important things to spend on.
In effect, if I don't go to the games, he won't go either. When I stop, it's two seats up for grabs, as he'll most likely just watch games via TV and streams.

The thing is that kids grow out of interests quickly when something new appears. They're excited and overwhelmed when they first go to a match but that doesn't last for ever. They get fed up and distracted, no matter how much the parent tries to keep them on the game.

Kids get more mental stimulation nowadays. The excitement of a football match can't compete with fast moving computer games.

if I had a quid for every child I've seen playing on a mobile phone throughout matches, I'd be a Tunnel Club regular.
And you try and tell the young people of today that, they won't believe you.

A few points on this:

1 - your pint probably wouldn't be poured 'half an hour ago' because they'd serve the pints in order of when they were poured.

2 - Most in SSL1 would prefer a slightly older pint if it meant they didn't need to leave the stands on 35 minutes to get one.

3 - The beer is shite anyway, so what does it matter if it's been standing on the side for 5-10 minutes?

4 - Even if about 25% of people requested fresh pints, you'd still speed up the service and sell more beer. (You could have fast lanes where they only serve pre-poured and slow lanes for fresh pints).

Maybe a better system though, as I said above, is to use bottles instead. The only downside is the level of plastic pollution generated.

I do not understand why people drink stuff they would send back in any other establishment.

simple answer nobody ?

with the technology with have somebody could make a air tight container that holds a freshly pulled pint of bear
that you could pull long before its sold like a hour before and kept in a freezer.. even use plastic bottle to hold it and keep it air tight for a couple of hours

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.