The English Disease - Brass Tacks

Jesus2020

Team supported
Man City
Came across this the other day. Thought it was quite interesting as I write a lot about how terrace culture, imo, has been redefined as hooliganism, in order to make it easier to a) eradicate hooliganism and b) class certain behaviors (traditional culture) as hooliganism in order to create a more commercially viable match day experience.

Got arrested at that game. I was 14 years old, and it turns out the tickets my uncle had bought for us in a pub had been stolen from someone’s house beforehand. As soon as we sat down we got our collar felt, so didn’t see a minute of the match. Spent the game being updated on the score by a copper whilst I was in the cell. Only time in my life ever been in a cell. Happy days!!!! ;-)

that's narrowed it down :)
I suppose it would be hard to define as each person would have their own idea of it. But standing, being able to sing, shout, swear, be aggressive even, give abuse to the opposition team or fans...for some, but then not for others. Being able to sing songs whilst standing after having a few drinks. Being in a group of lads that might now be targeted by authorities due to appearing in a way they have defined as hooligans without any evidence other than how other people have acted in the past who look like that.

Some people have described it as traditional working class football culture but that's not really true as anyone can immerse themselves within it regardless of upbringing, location or income. It's fluid. But anyone who's been in the standing areas over the years knows what it is without having to define it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.