The Album Review Club - Week #119 - (page 1405) - People On Sunday - Domenique Dumont

On a separate note Plant was in the local Indian by me while my missus was in there a couple of Thursdays ago and offered them a cake they didn't want on his table. He was in there on what they call "Happy Days" which is the cheap special night. Obviously tighter than those jeans he used to wear. She said he was a smooth bastard

On a separate note Plant was in the local Indian by me while my missus was in there a couple of Thursdays ago and offered them a cake they didn't want on his table. He was in there on what they call "Happy Days" which is the cheap special night. Obviously tighter than those jeans he used to wear. She said he was a smooth bastard
download (5).jpeg

Smiths maybe. Depeche Mode in with a shout. The Cure — possibly. But Stone Roses? Two records? No way, as much as I love the first one.
Again have to concur with Fog on this one and despite their commercial success in the nineties REM set the scene in the eighties with their best material and it was consistent over 6 albums.

I would have Blondie well ahead of the Smiths for Autoamerican and The Hunter alone if t came down to two albums and some of Eat to the Beat wasn't played in nightclubs etc until well into 1980.

Smith's,Bunnymen,New Order and Tom Petty.
Petty is fair. I was thinking more new wavey bands though. I mean personally I would say New Order since they’re my favo(u)rite band of all time but they didn’t have quite the spread of the other four. Also this could be an Yank v Brit thing. The four bands I mentioned were ludicrously popular here (esp. the three who aren’t TH). That Brits overrate late REM has always been odd to me; I agree with @mancity1 above.

Petty is fair. I was thinking more new wavey bands though. I mean personally I would say New Order since they’re my favo(u)rite band of all time but they didn’t have quite the spread of the other four. Also this could be an Yank v Brit thing. The four bands I mentioned were ludicrously popular here (esp. the three who aren’t TH). That Brits overrate late REM has always been odd to me; @mancity1 is correct above.
How do you rate Monster Fog ?

I couldn't get much out of Out of Time and Automatic For the People and I assume of course that nobody will choose Monster on this thread.

Wonderful album review from OB1, as per the other poster’s comments. And like probably everyone else who has read it, it’s got me desperate to dig it out again and play the album again too.
It seems churlish to take issue with anything in tbh, as I basically agree. However, this being a forum an’ all, I guess I might as well.
1) I had it for ages on a single AD 90 TDK tape, and would always play side one of the tape, but just FF the second side. Like others have posted, I think sides 3&4 are more uneven, and the quality dips, with some ‘throwaway’ tracks. For that reason it’s a 9/10 album for me. If they’d just released sides 1&2 as a single album then it would be 10/10.
2) re the comment about Kashmir, great track that it is, for epic sounds, I actually prefer Stargazer. Even though possibly, ahem, inspired by Kashmir, that Rainbow track is unsurpassed in terms of lyrics, vocal performance, instrument playing and orchestration. They say Phil Spector created the Wall of Sound, well that track for me has it and then some.
3) ob1’s frequent mentions of layering of guitar sounds just kinda reinforces my view about how Zeppelin really were masters of the studio recording, but that with technology as it was in the 70s they would have benefited so, so much from having an additional musician tour with them live. Floyd did it to fantastic effect with Snowy White, and I don’t know if it was the band or Grant being money-minded, or an ego thing from Page, but to do justice to these off-the-scale studio tracks live they needed it, imho.

Anyway as I said, cheers @OB1 - a pleasure to read :-)
I agree almost completely.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.