1978-79 | The self-implosion of Manchester City

Allison was a catastrophic appointment. In the 76/77 season, under Skip, we finished 1 point behind the all conquering Liverpool team of that era. And that was without the King in the team. Allison came in and shredded that team to pieces. It can be argued that we only really recovered from that era when HRH came in. I'm fully aware that Allison contributed hugely to the successes in the late 60s under Joe. But I'm sorry, I can't forgive him for what he did a decade later. The damage he (and Swales) did to the club was, er, "massive".
I said the same. Skip was on a downer but the glamorous chase got a hold of the club and we got Mal back. The sale of Barnes and Owen was a criminal act when you look back. Sickening.

I said the same. Skip was on a downer but the glamorous chase got a hold of the club and we got Mal back. The sale of Barnes and Owen was a criminal act when you look back. Sickening.
Scandalous decision, even worse is what we then spent. Essentially pissed the wealth we had built in our then most successful era, down the drain in 18 months. As I said it’s almost criminal negligence.

Imagine if Swales actually had a clue, the caliber of manager we could of got in 1979, with a decent pot of money to spend over 4/5 years whilst building around Barnes, Owen etc.

Scandalous decision, even worse is what we then spent. Essentially pissed the wealth we had built in our then most successful era, down the drain in 18 months. As I said it’s almost criminal negligence.

Imagine if Swales actually had a clue, the caliber of manager we could of got in 1979, with a decent pot of money to spend over 4/5 years whilst building around Barnes, Owen etc.
Criminal that we replaced that team with,Silkman,Shinton ,Robinson,Daley et al.Mackenzie should have been added to the existing team.

How many fans did we lose during those turbulent years? Mansour’s ownership has brought us back to the top. All clubs have downturns in fortune at some stage. Unfortunately for city, those lost years together with the sky money coming in set us back.

Interesting read @Citizen Green thx for posting.
I went to school from the mid 80s to the late 90s, and there were a fair few United fans at school where their Dad or even both parents were City fans; “my old man said be a City fan, and I said bollocks you’re a ****” doesn’t come from nowhere!

Other kids of City supporting parents had no interest in football, whereäs, had we not become the club we did, they might have had an interest. And the kids whose parents had little interest in football were mostly United fans.

We lost a generation of fans. We have a proper lack of 30-40 year old supporters… we have bloody loads of older fans, a good number of younger fans, but there’s a noticeable gap when it comes to that 30-40 year old bracket.

Last edited by a moderator:
The yo yo years were quite fun. The worse thing for a club is long periods of mid table mediocrity and at least we were spared. The sacking of skip was a terrible decision, but Lee's takeover and the appointment of Ball made a bad situation much worse. Enjoyed the Bernstein years our best chairman since Albert Alexander, great times under Royle and Keegan. So there were good times before the money, Charlton 85, Bradford a couple of years later, Gillingham 99 and Blackburn 2000. Pretty much that whole amazing season under Keegan when we ripped the championship up for arse paper . Good times, bad times but it felt more like our club then
That championship season under KK is up there alongside the best stuff we've played since the dirty oil money came in. Yes, it was at a lower level than the company we're mixing in now. But don't forget, WE were at a lower level back then.

That championship season under KK is up there alongside the best stuff we've played since the dirty oil money came in. Yes, it was at a lower level than the company we're mixing in now. But don't forget, WE were at a lower level back then.
I’ve always thought had Keegan not spunked around £15/20m on the likes of Macken, Vouso, Fowler etc and instead invested it more carefully to the team just promoted, we could of been a very good Prem side

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.