1978-79 | The self-implosion of Manchester City

Not disputing that mate, but we got relegated anyway two years later, and without Palmer, Bennett, and Mackenzie
Strictly speaking (iirc) we still had Palmer when we were relegated. I’m pretty sure we sold him to Oldham at the end of the 1982/3 season. Possibly just before. I say this because I remember my uncle who used to take me to games bemoaning the fact we’d just sold Palmer as we drove away after the Luton game, like it had just been announced. It’s funny the things you remember!

I think for a few of us on here ( I’m 52) we were just about old enough to go with our mates around that time and it was a learning curve having missed out on the mercer years and the success with the 70’s it was the beginning of our 30 odd years of near enough disaster .
As I say a learning curve in loyalty probably blind loyalty but we did it we stuck it out and got rewarded… still never take anything for granted with Manchester City football club though the memories are still raw ;) .
Up the blues and let’s do the dark side tomorrow for old times sake.
Agree mate. I'm 52 also and feel like iv absorbed everything our brilliant club could throw at us.
The lowest of lows and the highest of highs.
Would I have had it any other way?
Hmmmm debatable.
But I know there's no stronger bond than City fans and their club, probably because of what we've had to endure in the dark times.
To stick it out and then be rewarded as we have this last decade makes it so very special

Agree mate. I'm 52 also and feel like iv absorbed everything our brilliant club could throw at us.
Hmmmm debatable.
But I know there's no stronger bond than City fans and their club, probably because of what we've had to endure in the dark times.
To stick it out and then be rewarded as we have this last decade makes it so very special
Yup. A book about our implosion would be very popular, we are gluttons for punishment. We love a good moan.
If you look down the road at Stretford, their crowds got bored with constant success and are more animated now they are in difficulty. Perhaps we have something in common after all. What?? Heaven forbid.

Yup. A book about our implosion would be very popular, we are gluttons for punishment. We love a good moan.
If you look down the road at Stretford, their crowds got bored with constant success and are more animated now they are in difficulty. Perhaps we have something in common after all. What?? Heaven forbid.
CC @Gary James

Hmmmm debatable.
51 year old here too. Just like you...when I started we were seen as one of the biggest 4 or 5 teams in the country and trophies were always within reach. Oyur generation have seen it all. I'd say the majority of the people in Porto were from our generation: kids wwhen we were good, men staying defiantly loyal when we were shit, drinking it in when we became great. It felt like the end of that journey out there but wasn't to be, which in itself was king of fitting.

No Man United fan could ever understand how it felt when we won the FA Cup in 11, the league in 12 and how it will feel when we finally reach the pinnacle and with the Champions league.

51 year old here too. Just like you...when I started we were seen as one of the biggest 4 or 5 teams in the country and trophies were always within reach. Oyur generation have seen it all. I'd say the majority of the people in Porto were from our generation: kids wwhen we were good, men staying defiantly loyal when we were shit, drinking it in when we became great. It felt like the end of that journey out there but wasn't to be, which in itself was king of fitting.

No Man United fan could ever understand how it felt when we won the FA Cup in 11, the league in 12 and how it will feel when we finally reach the pinnacle and with the Champions league.
Not ashamed to say I shed a couple of tears in 11 in sheer relief

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.