Last Film You Saw

House of Gucci.

Ridley Scott film so I expected great things. Some good acting; some OTT rubbish acting. Great if you like fashion and fake Italian accents. I struggled to stay the distance.
Lady Gaga is apparently going to be up for an oscar - she was one of the better actors in the film. It was slow and I was waiting for something big to happen; it never did. Then it suddenly got interesting but finished a couple of minutes later after nearly 2 and half hours.

I won't bother watching it when it comes on the box. Maximum 5 out of 10. (Still considerably higher than Spencer!)

Lapsis (2020), on 4OD at the moment.

quirky little low-budget film that takes a look at the issues surrounding the gig economy, set in a near future in which tech breakthroughs require a low-skill job to be undertaken for unknown means for supercomputing. The details of the job are unimportant for our understanding/enjoyment, but the issues surrounding the workers and their treatment are relevant all the same. I liked this, I think it did averagely by the critics (~3 or 3.5 stars), but the story is nice and the film well made and highlights issues re workers rights, tech superiority over people and inequality. It's worth 1hr 40m of your time one wet evening (channel 4 OD).

Personally, I think it's time Ridley Scott called it a day for directing and just produced stuff. There's not enough excellence to provide a reason why he's still in work.

I'm a huge Ridley Scott fan, from The Duellists through to about Black Hawk Down, but I fear I have to agree with you. But which director is that not true of, when it comes right down to it? I don't think Scorsese's or Spielberg's recent work is a patch on their early to middle period work.
I can think of very, very few film directors who continue to do important work late in their career. To some extent, it's true of actors too. I thought it about Hopkins, and then thought he was one of the best things in Westworld, and saw The Father recently, where he's astonishing. So I had to revise my opinion somewhat.

I care a lot. what an incite into old age, how often does this happen i wonder? Oh, 8/10

The Voyeurs
Innocent curiosity turns into full-blown obsession when a young Montreal couple spy on their eccentric neighbours across the street.
Rear Window kinda film.
I enjoyed it though, somewhat erotic-ish.

Belfast 8/10 - really enjoyed this film with quite a few laugh out moments following the antics of 9 year old Buddy and at the same time a poignant reminder of the hard times people on both side of the divide had to go through. Done in black and white but actually worked well for me, good soundtrack and another very good acting display by Jamie Moran -

3.10 to Yuma. I love a good western and a bout of covid and weird body clock means there’s a bit of time on my hands as I wait for the cricket. Quality acting, can’t believe I missed it when it was released years ago. 8.5/10.
Night before was Ad Astra. Both films my wife would never watch. Ad astra obvs a different kind of watch, beautifully deep, shows not tells. 8/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.