Last Film You Saw

Ahem. I think you mean The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.
Yep, I was going to refer to its title as TAOJJBTCRF (2007) which is a film right up at the top of the modern Westerns tree for me.

- Cinematography by Roger Deakins.
- Haunting soundtrack by Nick Cave & Warren Ellis.
- The ye old English narration.
- A stellar cast with Casey Affleck, Sam Rockwell & Brad Pitt who is famously quoted as saying its his favourite movie he's ever starred in.

Narrator: "Rooms seemed hotter when he was in them, Rains fell straighter. Clocks slowed. Sounds were amplified."

Yep, I was going to refer to its title as TAOJJBTCRF (2007) which is a film right up at the top of the modern Westerns tree for me.

- Cinematography by Roger Deakins.
- Haunting soundtrack by Nick Cave & Warren Ellis.
- The ye old English narration.
- A stellar cast with Casey Affleck, Sam Rockwell & Brad Pitt who is famously quoted as saying its his favourite movie he's ever starred in.

Narrator: "Rooms seemed hotter when he was in them, Rains fell straighter. Clocks slowed. Sounds were amplified."
I thought Casey Affleck was brilliant in that movie.
A great western.

As good as it gets. Watching a group of people up close, seeing the ebb and flow of emotions and relationships in individuals play out between them... in a realistic setting.... it's just... it's something you never get the chance to see on screen. Maybe it's too difficult? But this does it. The only other film I can think of that has an ensemble that works anywhere near as well is Seven Samurai. There is always a lot more in these characters minds than they express through dialogue. There's a guy whose constant quipping would fit right in to Avengers 5 or whatever. And just like real life, it's not actually funny beyond a point - it's his defence. Others find it annoying and unwelcome. Spoiler - he doesn't get round the situation by deploying another 5 Ironman suits. The loudest ones go round in circles. The quieter ones get progressively more insulted and stubborn. Everyone has ups and downs. Everyone here is more than one thing - they are the sum of a bunch of processes for dealing with the outside world. Hidden inside themselves, listening, thinking, and reacting. Feeling, watching, communicating. It happens in the standing, sitting, moving. In where they place their hands, where they direct their gaze.

As good as it gets. Watching a group of people up close, seeing the ebb and flow of emotions and relationships in individuals play out between them... in a realistic setting.... it's just... it's something you never get the chance to see on screen. Maybe it's too difficult? But this does it. The only other film I can think of that has an ensemble that works anywhere near as well is Seven Samurai. There is always a lot more in these characters minds than they express through dialogue. There's a guy whose constant quipping would fit right in to Avengers 5 or whatever. And just like real life, it's not actually funny beyond a point - it's his defence. Others find it annoying and unwelcome. Spoiler - he doesn't get round the situation by deploying another 5 Ironman suits. The loudest ones go round in circles. The quieter ones get progressively more insulted and stubborn. Everyone has ups and downs. Everyone here is more than one thing - they are the sum of a bunch of processes for dealing with the outside world. Hidden inside themselves, listening, thinking, and reacting. Feeling, watching, communicating. It happens in the standing, sitting, moving. In where they place their hands, where they direct their gaze.
Good write up mate, I agree with your points on this excellent movie. Ive watched it a few times.

I always think in Tarantino's films there is usually a section where multiple people are "holed up" in a place where dialogue and facial expressions/movements are paramount. He is very good at that.

A film with all the cinematography style and sweeping outdoor vistas inspired by The Assassination of Jesse James (2007) with the gristle removed, making it a lean and classically crafted old fashioned Western with familiar tropes, that flew by (99 mins) leaving me wanting more.

8/10

Odd, or coincidentally, I used the same film to contrast "Old Henry" with some weeks ago.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.