Oldham Athletic thread

It's a sorry state of affairs when any football club goes under, after all if st. Marks didn't make it we would all be watching football from the Stretford end!!
My happiest memory of watching City at Oldham was in 84 stood on weeds growing through concrete terraces with wobbly crush bars singing the frog chorus - or did i dream it?

It is bizarre that people in towns like Bolton or Oldham would support Liverpool but I suppose it is a bit like a lot of towns up and down the country - there's armchair rivalry between hordes who follow the rags and Liverpool. As for the Asian community many have historically not felt safe at football for decades despite some progress being made in race relations so there is a pattern of people gravitating towards the gruesome twosome from the safety of an armchair. Speaking from experience as the son of an Indian (my late Dad came over here in the 50s and watched football at grounds all over the country before I was around), I can remember as a teen us being told by a pissed up so-called City fan at a Kippax turnstile in autumn 1981 "No P"ki is going in before me". That sort of experience could put many people off but because, we didn't give a shit, and Dad steered us to the next turnstile we just carried on and went in (0-0 draw with Cloughie's Forest). I was already bitten by the City bug a year earlier, so no racist who couldn't hold his drink would stop us going through the hallowed turnstiles and experienving the aroma of the Kippax bogs (Dad was getting on by then so there was always an obligatory early pit stop!)before watching God's own team. While anyone supporting Liverpool in Greater Manchester particular apalls me, I can kind of understand the armchair support if they had an unpleasant experience like we did - even if we were a bit more resilient in the face of it. Much of the time though, and whatever the race, i'd guess they are just sad glory hunters like the Nottingham based rags and Liverpool supporters who make Forest fans sick. Otherwise if they are from Oldham or Bolton why not be an armchair fan of the local clubs etc?

Your early experience is similar to one of my work mates who is a Leeds fan, but like you he stayed with it.

I think for armchair fans if you're going to choose a team it will always be success over location. I have several mates who support Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea as their initial reasoning will be the team is winning things.

Do find it quite funny though when you come across non-local Newcastle & Blackburn fans who chose "their" team with the same outlook on being "winners"

Remember being in my local Asda just after Leicester won the PL and this guy was walking around with a Number 9 Vardy shirt on, the shirt looked brand new. He was late 20's mind and I just thought really? :)

Your early experience is similar to one of my work mates who is a Leeds fan, but like you he stayed with it.

I think for armchair fans if you're going to choose a team it will always be success over location. I have several mates who support Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea as their initial reasoning will be the team is winning things.

Do find it quite funny though when you come across non-local Newcastle & Blackburn fans who chose "their" team with the same outlook on being "winners"

Remember being in my local Asda just after Leicester won the PL and this guy was walking around with a Number 9 Vardy shirt on, the shirt looked brand new. He was late 20's mind and I just thought really? :)
I bet that the new found Leicester City fans only connection to Leicester was that he sometimes ate a few slices of Red Leicester cheese!!!

It is bizarre that people in towns like Bolton or Oldham would support Liverpool but I suppose it is a bit like a lot of towns up and down the country - there's armchair rivalry between hordes who follow the rags and Liverpool. As for the Asian community many have historically not felt safe at football for decades despite some progress being made in race relations so there is a pattern of people gravitating towards the gruesome twosome from the safety of an armchair. Speaking from experience as the son of an Indian (my late Dad came over here in the 50s and watched football at grounds all over the country before I was around), I can remember as a teen us being told by a pissed up so-called City fan at a Kippax turnstile in autumn 1981 "No P"ki is going in before me". That sort of experience could put many people off but because, we didn't give a shit, and Dad steered us to the next turnstile we just carried on and went in (0-0 draw with Cloughie's Forest). I was already bitten by the City bug a year earlier, so no racist who couldn't hold his drink would stop us going through the hallowed turnstiles and experienving the aroma of the Kippax bogs (Dad was getting on by then so there was always an obligatory early pit stop!)before watching God's own team. While anyone supporting Liverpool in Greater Manchester particular apalls me, I can kind of understand the armchair support if they had an unpleasant experience like we did - even if we were a bit more resilient in the face of it. Much of the time though, and whatever the race, i'd guess they are just sad glory hunters like the Nottingham based rags and Liverpool supporters who make Forest fans sick. Otherwise if they are from Oldham or Bolton why not be an armchair fan of the local clubs etc?
Most of the Asians I know at work - in Bradford - are fans of either the rags or Littlewoods, though I know some, who are Bantams supporters.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.