Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barcelona is two points behind a CL spot. They will get there. I have no doubt about it.
Financially, there is a delusion here that goes both ways. First, the people who think Madrid can do just about anything. Second, the people who underestimate Barcelona’s ability to engineer the funding for certain deals. I didn’t say that Madrid represents the past. But they could easily bea new AC Milan for some years unless the environment in which they are doesn’t change. AC Milan continued to have big players and young talent, that wasn’t the issue. Having money and rebuilding doesn’t fix the environment. It’s why PSG’s project has a ceiling. We already had a “Haaland and Mbappe playing together in a one team league“. It was Neymar and Mbappe playing together at PSG.
Here is how La Liga is irrelevant now. This weekend we will see the 2nd place in the PL face the 3rd place. Liverpool vs Chelsea. Now take a 2nd vs 3rd game in La Liga. Betis vs Sevilla. Who is watching that? Or even Madrid vs Betis or Madrid vs Sevilla? I’ll watch it but I watch anything. It’s not an event. Tottenham vs United (6th vs 7th) gets the world talking. I’ve already said, maybe that won’t last. La Liga had Ronaldo vs Messi for years and it was the greatest show on Earth. The moment Ronaldo left, even putting on his best, Messi alone still couldn’t hold the same interest.

Well Gus you make a passionate case and maybe I'm even a bit more convinced than when we started. I think you should certainly be in the room when Txiki speaks to the Haaland crew.

Ultimately it comes down to what truly motivates Haaland in his heart.

La Liga being relatively easy until Barcelona and Atletico recover . . to some extent could that not be argued as a selling point?

"You can rack up a few domestic trophies almost guaranteed here. This is where Ronaldo and Messi set their records. Why go to Manchester and get the shit kicked out of you by the likes of Phil Bardsley?" That kind of vibe.
But that’s the Messi point. He was still getting unbelievable numbers in his final years there and it just wasn’t that interesting. Ronaldo and Messi didn’t become who they became on their records there alone, but because everyone wanted to watch them. That’s also how they got their publicity deals. Haaland playing for us with Pep as the manager against strong rivals in Chelsea and Liverpool, a solid Tottenham by Conte, maybe a decent enough United side with a new manager, a good Arsenal team, etc, that’s a whole different level of interest being generated. I follow this stuff as someone who studies social media. At Germany, the only
“event” is Bayern vs Dortmund.

I've said in another post that if Haaland's ego is so massive that he can't play in the same team as Mbappe and expects City to be "his" team then we shouldn't sign him. Or anyone like that.
I don’t think it’s about ego at all, though the majority of footballers (including our own despite what people think) have a big ego.

Well Gus you make a passionate case and maybe I'm even a bit more convinced than when we started. I think you should certainly be in the room when Txiki speaks to the Haaland crew.

Ultimately it comes down to what truly motivates Haaland in his heart.
I actually think it’s a decision that won’t come down to exclusively money like the most cynical seem to think but also neither about just his own decision alone. It’s probably kind of perfect to have himself, his dad and Raiola coming together for a decision. Each representing a side of the decision to be taken. I am genuinely and honestly convinced that the best case to be made is ours. We’ll see in not long if it remains the case.

I actually think it’s a decision that won’t come down to exclusively money like the most cynical seem to think but also neither about just his own decision alone. It’s probably kind of perfect to have himself, his dad and Raiola coming together for a decision. Each representing a side of the decision to be taken. I am genuinely and honestly convinced that the best case to be made is ours. We’ll see in not long if it remains the case.
Always enjoy your analysis Gus.. I think you make some valid points.

The only way anything happens in January, is if either Dortmund decide to invite offers for him above his release clause, or if his agent does. Doubt any buying club would probe that on their own. Even then, nothing to say a buying club would pay the exta 30m or so.

According to ze germans, Dortmund will offer Haaland £260k a week, double what he is on currently, to remove the clause and stay a year longer with them. Then they'd let him go the next summer for circa £120m, gentleman's agreement.

He'd be silly to take it imo. If indeed there is any truth in it.

Does set up a bit of intriguing narrative in January though. If he turns it down, they can claim they tried and are comfortable moving on and taking what they can for him.

The logical route as I see it.
Erling wants the premiere league but also loves spain and feels the pull of Madrid. So do both, but do the prem first as it’s the faster league, so do that whilst you can. If he chooses prem there is only one choice, it is the one that guarantees trophy after trophy and where his dad played. Kid loves Leeds and city? It’s very hard to love both these clubs and not hate utd. At city he will have the best chance to payback Keane‘s old club.
Then like roNaldo, bale, modri, hazard etc he can make the move in his late twenties at his peak. Or, if we can, city do what we did with aguero and silva and work with him to stay And become an icon.
Yes he and his entourage will need to be paid a shit tonne of cash but it will be worth it. City are entering a new phase in our development with revenue streams the rags can only dream of and we can afford this and more.

For me IF Madrid do want him...they will get him......but the question is do they want him....

They have courted Mbappe for a few years....yes both can play in the same team but does either Haaland or Mbappe want to play with each other......does the leadership at Madrid want Haaland

No ones cynical about Haaland mate, curious as we don't really know him. It's his agent and the whole show he's directing that makes people concerned about the money.

It would be refreshing if Haaland just came out and said "I want to play for" and fucked the circus master off.

He's a confident lad, that's for sure.

For me IF Madrid do want him...they will get him......but the question is do they want him....

They have courted Mbappe for a few years....yes both can play in the same team but does either Haaland or Mbappe want to play with each other......does the leadership at Madrid want Haaland

I can't contemplate a world in which Real Madrid don't want Haaland. That is just absurd. Even with mbappe incoming and Benzema there for another year maybe.

And they can absolutely without a doubt get him and fit him in the team. Both financially and as one of a few top players in their squad. Spare me the 'I have read two articles and conclude from their implied tone that this is now the new real madrid' crap.

They can offer and pay what he is looking for and what his agent wants too. They can offer trophies, fame and profile, a shot at CL and records and everything that comes with playing for Real Madrid.

The only question for me is does he want to go there, or rather does he want to go there now.

We can offer plenty too, if not all of the above, minus the spanish weather (which I doubt would bother a Norwegian playing in Germany). But as a plus we can offer working with Pep, and the chance to play in the shirt he often wore as a kid. But Madrid are certainly the big contender for his signature. Let's not bullshit ourselves they are not.

No ones cynical about Haaland mate, curious as we don't really know him. It's his agent and the whole show he's directing that makes people concerned about the money.

It would be refreshing if Haaland just came out and said "I want to play for" and fucked the circus master off.

He's a confident lad, that's for sure.
The cynicism I refer to is the usual suspects who think it will come down to a “bidding war” or a variation of that. But of course his staff does need to ponder the money among other factors. Which is why I think having the player, his father (who sees himself as an expert in football management per his own twitter bio) and Raiola (who also has his own staff) can make an informed decision, one that isn’t really explained in a single sentence, but in multiple factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.