Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
When they show less than ten minutes of a 94 minute match, what do you expect. The programme is past its sell by date.
I would expect 8 minutes of showing our brilliance and 1 minute or less showing their 2 attempts on goal. That would seem to be a fair representation of this game.

Oh, a positive City article. I'll give it a chance.

View attachment 34670

I'll read on......

Liverpool are the only ones holding a candle to the champions designate, though they do not have a Gulf state’s wealth underpinning them. City did not even feel the need to make much of the fact that they overtook Manchester United’s annual commercial revenues for the first time last week.

The old Skool Hacks down in London just love Liverpool don't they. The enduring candle lit romance of a club that isn't 'underpinned by a Gulf state's wealth'.
Don't you remember the old days, when every two bit crayon scribbler would have returned that million pound cheque if his Littlewoods coupon hit the jackpot.

Seems our win over Chelsea didn't please everyone.
'This clinical chloroforming of Chelsea . . . felt better? . . . than the deliciously unjust 2-1 victory at Arsenal, with the 93rd-minute winner by Rodri? Most'

God they're hurting, I hope we go on to win it by 20.

I did see your response first time round.
You are right that the word has more than one meaning but I’m not sure your interpretation is the correct one given the rest of the sentence in which it sits.

Also ithe same article he writes of the “sensory pleasure of watching this champion City team in action, its beguiling patterns, its architectural beauty, its simple sporting virtues, the collectivism, the selfless energy, the way players are coached and improved”.
Maybe you don’t think he means that as a compliment?
At the end of last season he wrote of our title being a triumph of class and refinement.
Maybe you don’t think means that as a compliment?
Sure he says things that I disagree with as well, and also other things that I either wish he didn’t say or which touch a bit of a nerve. I don’t think though that those things mean he is part of a vast media conspiracy who want to see us fail.

Anyway, I’ve now realised what I so rarely bother to dip into the Media Thread. Life is too short. I’ve been supporting City since the late 60s and seen some real dross at times, and often have read papers for a week without even a mention of City. Maybe the old adage is true that the only think worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

RAWK has taken the same view as you, because they can't see the wood for the trees. On the surface this is a fawning article, clever in a school boy debating kind of way because it states the obvious, that we're a bloody good football team, a product of a real project with planning and finance to match our owners ambitions. Yet never far away there is a reference to how this has been achieved, the "happy coincidence so many Emirates-based independent entities have been drawn to the City brand"....."a champion club owned by a country". References to the on going PL investigation in to our finances and so on.

But most damning of all and the real point of the article is....

"it is all startlingly efficient, with something of the machine-for-winning in the way City have reduced the league season to an irresistible formula"

Ronay's objective is to highlight how insidious we are, how by nefarious means we have constructed a soulless machine-for-winning "sport reduced to a fine point – high-end and cold-eyed"

I repeat, this is the nub of the article....

"City have reduced the league season to an irresistible formula"

I repeat again...

"City have reduced the league"

Ronay wants his readers to be in no doubt that City's success is not a good thing for the Premier League. The whole point of the article is to highlight that among our many crimes, the greatest of them all is that we've hammered the final nail in the coffin of fair play, competitiveness and jumpers for goal posts.

Last edited:
I would expect 8 minutes of showing our brilliance and 1 minute or less showing their 2 attempts on goal. That would seem to be a fair representation of this game.
To be fair Lumpapoo had two great chances in the match and made a mess of both of them, they alone with replays would have taken up a couple of minutes. I watched him closely throughout the match and there is no way he could play in a Pep team, completely muscle bound and not got the stamina to press the opposition for ninety minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.