Pele - was he that good? And why ?

The 1970 World cup he was brilliant the whole tournament.
So good as a 10 year old I got his Puma Pele football boots.
That team was the best international side ever in my lifetime.
Pele was the greatest until Diego came on the scene.

He was a great player alone but was lucky to have played in some great Brazilian teams. The Mexico 70 squad takes some beating and his record for Santos was unbelievable

I vaguely remember the 1970 world cup and Pele was the main man there, but given he played for Santos most of his career where most games weren't televised, i doubt many people outside Brazil actually knew how good Pele was. I suppose asking fans of a Santos forum how good Bobby Moore was is a similar comparison ?

Excellent striker….but who needs that anymore??
Useless at tracking back, tackling and his haircuts were…boring.
Never played at Stoke on a wet windy Tuesday night so difficult to say if he was as good as Jon Macken or Lee Bradbury.

was Tommy Farr as good as Ali? Was Tyson as good as Fury? Was Finney as good as Francis? Was Barnes as good as Sterling? Its very hard to get it considered across the ages.......yes at the time Pele was the best people had seen but how much did they see? There wasn't wall to wall live coverage like we have today. Messi and Ronaldo are probably the best to compare - EVERYTHING is on view but I wouldn't like to say Pele was the best ever

Thry say garinncha was better and but for injury would have outshone Pele.

Pele was obvioulsy one of the best, how good he was I couldn't say as I wasn't born.
Oddly, an ex’s Dad always said this, he had the pleasure of watching ‘Little Bird’ at Goodson in 66 in the flesh as well, he knew his football and coached at a decent level (back then anyway) and certainly wasn’t prone to hyperbole, so I’d tend to take his word on it.

Pele, my memories, incredible player, didn’t have that beautiful fluidity and grace of Maradona, but every bit as effective and knew where the net was.

My favourite Brazilian though, Socrates.

The 1970 World cup he was brilliant the whole tournament.
So good as a 10 year old I got his Puma Pele football boots.
That team was the best international side ever in my lifetime.
Pele was the greatest until Diego came on the scene.
Pele, Rivelino, Jairzinho amongst others, what a fantastic team that was. The best International team I have ever seen.
Little to choose between Pele and Maradona on the pitch, but light years apart off it.
And then there was the 'hand of god' goal...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.