Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talksport earlier, a couple of minutes before the lunchtime game, discussion of Arteta's rather silly complaint about playing Weds evening and Sat lunchtime (so what, Mikel..?) led the guy, Alex Crook?, to really start talking shite - he stated that in the time period between games Martinelli could have flown home to Brazil and back twice, and Constitution Hill (winner of Tues opener at Cheltenham) could have run his race 20,000 times. I mean, seriously, W...T...F... is he talking about?

Btw, I backed Constitution Hill @5/2

I'll wait until something more concrete and with added context comes out before I demand our owners sell up.

That pic of our leader is part of a UN backed initiative to bring peace to Syria and the Middle East

Journalists condemning it are basically using an attempt at peace to score points

The Assads were always brutal monsters but, like Saddam, they were the rulers of their country and generally kept them stable, albeit you'd certainly question their methods. There was some hope for Bashar Al Assad at the start of his rule, which was quickly extinguished.

Syria is another of those former Ottoman Empire countries in the Middle Esst that the Western powers carved up rather arbitrarily and handed out to their favoured rulers post WW1. There was a 'line in the sand' drawn to separate French interests in Syria from the British in Iraq, as part of the secret Sykes-Picot agreement. Syria was overwhelmingly Sunni but the Assads were minority Alawite, which is a bit like a non Muslim becoming head of state in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan or Malaysia.

Bashar decided to ally himself with Iran, via support for Hezbollah but it was his brutal put-down of Arab Spring demonstrations in 2011 which really started the current crisis. Things have gone from bad to worse since then of course, with many other actors being dragged in and appalling brutality. The Western powers meddled and, as usual, made things worse rather than better. I actually thought Putin was right to support the established leadership, however bad it was, rather than allowing the unleashing of forces that could seriously destabilise the region. After all, the toppling of dictators in Iraq & Libya worked out so well didn't it?

Like Russia in Ukraine, Turkey occupies large parts of northern Syria. Why is that "right" while the Russian invasion of Ukraine is "wrong"? Double standards again.

Assad, for all his many faults, is still the legitimate Syrian head of state. The UAE is no friend of Iran, which is one of the parties propping up Assad's regime and is the single biggest threat to the Middle East region. If Assad can be weaned away from them, it'll probably be a major step forward in achieving more stability.

But of course all the simpletons in the WhatsApp group, who have suddenly become geo-political "experts", see Assad in Dubai and are crying foul.
Excellent post. The only thing I might add is that the the Arab Spring demonstrations were clearly less a popular uprising but more an orchestrated Colour Revolution utilising the worst aspects of Sunni fundamentalism. The survival of the regime in Syria necessitated the brutal put down of this emerging opposition and indeed the successful incorporation of Russia into the struggle.
A further related and noteworthy point is that much of the trouble in the region over the last 15 years was caused by a man called Blair. I see it is still acceptable to be seen in the company of this particular rat.

Back to basics. Did anybody watch football focus and the Jack Grealish interview? Anyway first thing that was mentioned was is £100 million transfer and if that was weighing on his mind. What other footballer has been linked to his transfer fee whilst being interviewed? Now I know it’s a British and club record but Lukaku was £98 million and I bet if he was being interviewed it wouldn’t get a mention. Hate BBC sport.

The Assads were always brutal monsters but, like Saddam, they were the rulers of their country and generally kept them stable, albeit you'd certainly question their methods. There was some hope for Bashar Al Assad at the start of his rule, which was quickly extinguished.

Syria is another of those former Ottoman Empire countries in the Middle Esst that the Western powers carved up rather arbitrarily and handed out to their favoured rulers post WW1. There was a 'line in the sand' drawn to separate French interests in Syria from the British in Iraq, as part of the secret Sykes-Picot agreement. Syria was overwhelmingly Sunni but the Assads were minority Alawite, which is a bit like a non Muslim becoming head of state in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan or Malaysia.

Bashar decided to ally himself with Iran, via support for Hezbollah but it was his brutal put-down of Arab Spring demonstrations in 2011 which really started the current crisis. Things have gone from bad to worse since then of course, with many other actors being dragged in and appalling brutality. The Western powers meddled and, as usual, made things worse rather than better. I actually thought Putin was right to support the established leadership, however bad it was, rather than allowing the unleashing of forces that could seriously destabilise the region. After all, the toppling of dictators in Iraq & Libya worked out so well didn't it?

Like Russia in Ukraine, Turkey occupies large parts of northern Syria. Why is that "right" while the Russian invasion of Ukraine is "wrong"? Double standards again.

Assad, for all his many faults, is still the legitimate Syrian head of state. The UAE is no friend of Iran, which is one of the parties propping up Assad's regime and is the single biggest threat to the Middle East region. If Assad can be weaned away from them, it'll probably be a major step forward in achieving more stability.

But of course all the simpletons in the WhatsApp group, who have suddenly become geo-political "experts", see Assad in Dubai and are crying foul.
Excellent post, very informative.

My question to you however is, does it not concern you that the West (US) will take a dim view of the UAE welcoming Assad back in to the fold? They warned them against opening diplomacy with his regime a few months ago from recollection. The concern being, that the UAE pissing off the West could lead down the line to their Western owned assets such as Manchester City being removed should relations deteriorate.

We have already seen with Chelsea what a collapse between the West & your nations relations can lead to, with Roman Abramovich loosing all his Western holdings/assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.