Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can’t we say Uncle Ben? He just makes rice. Or have I missed something?

The products are no longer called Uncle Bens.

They decided to change the name to just Ben after frequent accusations of racism against Uncle Ben’s logo – an illustration of a black rice farmer – and name. In plantation-era US, white people in the southern states would often refer to a black man as ‘uncle’ to avoid using the more respectful ‘mister’.
Last summer, Mars announced it would “evolve” the brand, in light of Black Lives Matter protests following the murder of George Floyd
I'm not too sure how it affects us but the name change was seemingly a big thing in the states.

There are other examples of name changes with the same objective as the Uncle Ben one.

Country band Dixie Chicks changed their name to The Chicks, to help highlight racial inequality in the US. "Dixie" was often used as a nickname for the southern states that made up the Confederate States of America during the US Civil War era

The country band formerly known as Lady Antebellum changed its name to Lady A over concerns that the old name was racist . You might recall the song "Need you now" which won a Grammy for sing of the year. Antebellum means before a war and the term has been widely associated with the pre-Civil War period in the United States when slavery was practiced.
The band abbreviated the name to "Lady A" in June 2020 during the George Floyd protests in an attempt to blunt the name's associations with slavery

I grew up with Captain Bird's-eye with the big white beard and was OK for me then and now.

Seems like City and RM are after the same two players in Haaland and Tchouameni though, with the latter, it looks like there are a few more clubs in for him too.

Could this be the window when we finally replace Aguero and Fern?

Seems like City and RM are after the same two players in Haaland and Tchouameni though, with the latter, it looks like there are a few more clubs in for him too.

Could this be the window when we finally replace Aguero and Fern?

Any player who chooses Madrid over City this summer is going for the name not the football. I actually really like what Tchouameni said yesterday about not having to leave France to play for the national team. Shows he's got his head screwed on right.

Any player who chooses Madrid over City this summer is going for the name not the football. I actually really like what Tchouameni said yesterday about not having to leave France to play for the national team. Shows he's got his head screwed on right.
I thought the same thing with his statement and then I also thought…but it helps If you don’t play for PSG!

PSG and United are in running battle to see who can run a football club in a more unserious fashion.
They are quite similar in that they both have teams worse than the sum of their parts. Conversely you hardly ever hear anything from the Glazers whereas PSGs owners are usually in the public eye for all the wrong reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.