P & O

I know this thread doesn't attract a lot of interest but I will keep posting about this issue as it could actually save the lives of some members here if they are stupid enough to contemplate sailing with this company. As most will know I had 27 years experience of working onboard these cross channel ferries. I worked 12 hour shifts on a week on/week off basis. So that was 84 hours in one week. After that week I was mentally and physically shattered. The company now want the crews to work a minimum of 17 weeks onboard .....17 weeks on the busiest crossing in the world. It is ludicrous, inhumane and unsafe. Here is the rather long report for those interested.

P&O FERRIES Fatigue / Safery concerns

Let me start by adding some context to Fatigue and safety at sea - Fatigue has been estimated to be a contributory factor in around 1/3 of Maritime incidents.

I keep getting asked about the safety concerns surrounding P&O Ferries and particularly fatigue, so let me look to explain this for the benefit of those who may have never worked at sea.

In Dover the crew have for many years worked a shift pattern of 1 week on the vessel followed by 1 week at home (rest).

All seafarers onboard the vessel work 84 hours per week, 12 hours per day for a 7 day period. This would be consistent with a land based worker working 42 hours per week.

In 2011 a survey was conducted as part of an independent report by Professor Andy Smith of Cardiff University.

The survey and report was in response to P&O ferries wanting to introduce a shift pattern of 2 weeks onboard followed by 2 weeks of Rest and the impact that this would have upon fatigue.

The survey was completed by 491 respondents who worked on the Dover - Calais route.

The report touched on a number of areas surrounding fatigue and contributing factors which included:
Job demands
Working hours
Length of tour duty
Number of crossings
Speed of the port turnaround
Bad weather
Noise and vibration
Sleep problems
Extra duties such as lifeboat drills

The conclusion of that report was as follows:
“The present survey confirmed that the crew of the ferries on the Dover - Calais routes are exposed to a number of factors which induce fatigue. Levels of reported fatigue and reduced well-being are high. There is also an association between fatigue and reduced operational performance and safety. Recomendations are made about the best way to prevent and manage fatigue”

Between 2009 and 2012 Project HORIZON was initiated and was the first study on seafarer fatigue to use empirical evidence and seek to replicate, to the extent practicable, shipboard conditions. It was a EU-funded multi-partner research programme designed to investigate seafarer fatigue using scientifically robust methodology. It used simulator based experiments to examine and identify the effect of different watchkeeping patterns on seafarer cognitive performance using realistic scenarios, and has enabled the development of a mathematically robust Fatigue Management Toolkit (FMT).

The UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency said at that time it was committed to reducing the serious problem of fatigue amongst seafarers which has a major impact on maritime safety.

The MCA published a MIN (marine Information note) that provided a summary of the HORIZON project together with its findings which was circulated to Ship Owners, Ship operators and crew who were recommended to take note of the findings when determining working patterns, rosters and manning levels

The report identified contributing factors of fatigue

Fatigue Causing Factors
Lack of sleep, or poor quality of sleep
Working at times of low alertness (circadian rhythms)
Long working hours and prolonged work periods Insufficient rest between work periods
The impact of watchkeeping patterns, notably 6-on/6-off Frequent port calls and associated cargo work
Stress and excessive workloads
Tour lengths
Noise, vibration, motion and medical conditions

Now in light of all of the above P&O Ferries will introduce a shift pattern which is 17x longer than the sacked employees.

The new seafarers will work a minimum of 12 hours per day (if vessel is not late or delayed) for 7 days per week for 17 weeks straight, no rest periods at all……..yes you read that correctly.

P&O are fully aware of the content of these reports but in order to reduce costs and circumnavigate legislation, rather than talking to the respective trade unions you have directors with no or minimal maritime background creating a system of working that will jeopardise the safety of the entire crew, and those passengers and hauliers that choose to travel with P&O Ferries.

If individuals choose to travel with P&O Ferries in the knowledge of the above to save a few quid then that is your choice but ask yourself this - if you worked 12 hours+ per day, 7 days a week in an intensive, high demanding workplace and an emergency happened that required you to save the life of passengers, fight a fire or evacuate passengers do you think you would be in a position to do so both physically and mentally?

Do you think this is standard that should be expected of a Ferry operator?

Safety at sea no longer exists thanks to P&O Ferries and fatalities will occur as a consequence of these business decisions.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and please share amongst your friends / family / work colleagues and trade unions.

By sharing this post you may save lives.

BOYCOTT P&O FERRIES.

@paulchapo you keep posting pal. If people like you didn't, I am sure rules would be ignored in the interests of saving money.
Put it into a football context. Hillsborough, aside from the obvious problems, the F.A. knew the ground did not have a safety certificate. For that reason alone the match should never have been played there.
I could see huge queues at Dover and someone deciding a P&O safety cert. is just a piece of paper.

@paulchapo you keep posting pal. If people like you didn't, I am sure rules would be ignored in the interests of saving money.
Put it into a football context. Hillsborough, aside from the obvious problems, the F.A. knew the ground did not have a safety certificate. For that reason alone the match should never have been played there.
I could see huge queues at Dover and someone deciding a P&O safety cert. is just a piece of paper.

The pressure wil grow to get them sailing as the amount of freight they carry is huge. I would not like to be onboard one of their vessels in the event of an emergency.

Although the crews onboard have replaced my former shipmates I fear for their health and sanity. I was shattered after one week onboard. Aside from the long hours and stress of the work, you have to add on trying to sleep in rest periods with the vibration of the engines, rough weather etcetera. Seventeen weeks just doesn't bear thinking about.

In a way I'm glad that's happened. If it doesn't make everyone sit up before a disaster happens, nowt will.

There's none so blind as those who can't see. If there are viable alternatives anyone who sails on them must be nuts

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.