Real Madrid (H) | Post Match Thread

Now that's the one thing I would say is that Ederson stayed put when he could have closed Vini down. But they had options loading up in the area & if Eddie had closed down Vini, he'd have to cross the ball & there was an unguarded goal with Zin & Laporte running toward it with the right winger & Benzema bearing down on our goal too.

There were so many permutations, anything could have happened. Ultimately it was just a brilliant meg, controlled run & a world class finish...
TBF, given that scenario, he probably thought a tight angle shot with a chance for the keeper to save was the better option than the cross to a wide open guy in the middle

I think he has to run that line to stop the easy square ball to Benzema - but he does get suprised by the pace that Jnr has and by the time he realises he has to go over its too late.

The only thing you can do against that kind of pace is not let them turn you on the half way line. Even Walker would struggle once he pulls of that turn. But its not just the goal - you could tell that RM were looking for that match up every time in the second half. Fern just doesn't have the acceleration any more.
Zinchenko had Benzema. By the time Vin shot both players were marking Benzema.

TBF, given that scenario, he probably thought a tight angle shot with a chance for the keeper to save was the better option than the cross to a wide open guy in the middle
Well even if Ederson had got something on it, Real had Benzema & the right winger queuing up for a tap in if the ball ricocheted into the area.

We were just caught flat footed by a brilliant meg on Fern. It was an amazing goal. We'd be creaming ourselves if that was Mahrez or Foden... )(20220427_182907.jpg

Last edited:
You do know they're playing in the great beyond now...

image.jpg
Of course. But it’s the sort of stadium where the atmosphere can make a poor team play better. If they fluke a goal, they can gain some momentum from the crowd.

Whereas I think the mystique of the Bernebeu is mainly due to the quality of the players that have played there. I don’t think the stadium and their crowd add that much to the scale of the task we face

Well even if Ederson had got something on it, Real had Benzema & the right winger queuing up for a tap in if the ball ricocheted into the area.

We were just caught flat footed by a brilliant meg on Fern. It was an amazing goal. We'd be creaming ourselves if that was Mahrez or Foden... )(View attachment 41600

You know, that still makes it pretty clear that Laporte and Zin didn't have much choice but to sort of come half way hoping to put him off. If they hare over to him, he cuts it right back to the most in-form striker in the world at present. Who's also got a team-mate to his right in the unlikely even that he fluffs it. Who've then got the whole goal at their mercy. From that angle, I'd still fancy Ed to stop it most times. It was a perfect strike, of the sort that Sergio used to do regularly, right into the corner across Ederson. Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say it was a great goal.
People being hard on Laporte. If anything, I think the penalty is a bit stupid. Sure your arms go up when you jump – but not that high. Laporte knows the rule by now (stupid as it is, and I will never think otherwise).

I agree absolutely. It suited Madrid for us to play an open game. We need to play a more controlled game in Spain. Make that extra pass.
If you cast your mind back to last season, the Dortmund and psg games were won in exactly that manner. And we haven't been open that much in recent memory, even against the scousers we have handled it well. But I do honestly think Real played a bit of a trick on us, like they did with Chelsea and PSG tbh. We just need to make sure we don't fall into the same traps next game.

You know, that still makes it pretty clear that Laporte and Zin didn't have much choice but to sort of come half way hoping to put him off. If they hare over to him, he cuts it right back to the most in-form striker in the world at present. Who's also got a team-mate to his right in the unlikely even that he fluffs it. Who've then got the whole goal at their mercy. From that angle, I'd still fancy Ed to stop it most times. It was a perfect strike, of the sort that Sergio used to do regularly, right into the corner across Ederson. Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say it was a great goal.
People being hard on Laporte. If anything, I think the penalty is a bit stupid. Sure your arms go up when you jump – but not that high. Laporte knows the rule by now (stupid as it is, and I will never think otherwise).
Agreed 100% A Cambridge Uni Analyst claims Ederson was at fault for not closing down Vini after his first or second touch. HOWEVER when you look at the pictures Ederson was covering his near post as we're always told keepers are supposed to do.

PLUS you've got Benzema & the right winger in space waiting to mop up any spillages...

Ederson Analysis for Vinicius Goal
Screenshot_20220427-185501_Samsung Internet.jpg

What happens to our fans who watch league games on a champions league night, it’s like we are 2 different clubs on nights like last night, its like a mass takeover, yet most of those there last night won’t be seen again, how do they get tickets?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.