Real Madrid (H) | Post Match Thread

No both Laporte and Alex both covered Benzema, their right winger wasn't up with play. It was Laporte who should have gone across.
I've watched it back this morning
I've watched it back too. Laporte looked across at Zin & you could see the right winger coming up rapidly from right to left toward the centre of our penalty area with Benzema setting himself.

Vinicius gave himself options & ultimately it's just one of those things. I honestly can't blame any of our players in that scenario. We've just gotta give Vinicius his due, it was a brilliant meg, controlled run & a world class finish to round it off.

It was Real Madrid we were playing, not Scunthorpe Utd... )(

Wasted opportunity. Bernabeu is stadium where crazy things happen.
Obviously they will be more comfortable playing in their own stadium. But I don’t think the Bernabeu itself is anything to worry about. I’ve never found it to be especially loud or intimidating.

I’m more bothered about City playing at Elland Rd

I've watched it back too. Laporte looked across at Zin & you could see the right winger coming up rapidly from right to left toward the centre of our penalty area with Benzema setting himself.

Vinicius gave himself options & ultimately it's just one of those things. I honestly can't blame any of our players in that scenario. We've just gotta give Vinicius his due, it was a brilliant meg, controlled run & a world class finish to round it off.

It was Real Madrid we were playing, not Scunthorpe Utd... )(
It was a bit odd that no one went to him, to say the least. Ederson stayed virtually on his line too.

Obviously they will be more comfortable playing in their own stadium. But I don’t think the Bernabeu itself is anything to worry about. I’ve never found it to be especially loud or intimidating.

I’m more bothered about City playing at Elland Rd

You do know they're playing in the great beyond now...

image.jpg

Yeah of course, but I think it was a particularly poor performance in terms of game management and ball retention. They're a good side of course, they thrive on others making errors. They've done it to PSG and Chelsea. They did it to us last night, but we still won.

We go to the Bernabeu knowing we're through unless they score, but we will go there to win. The key will be playing keep ball and controlling the pace of the game. Chelsea did it incredibly well and we've done it so many times in the CL now. We need to ensure that the game is played our way. They have the most fickle fans going. They're up there with the dippers in terms of believing it's their right to win the CL. Get an early goal and the fans will be calling for Ancelotti's head and booing them.

I remain confident. I'd have just liked it to have been 5-0 as I've booked my trip to Paris and would quite like to go and see us lift the big eared bastard.
You're more confident than I am! I'm shitting it! Lol :-)

Ultimately, it's 11 vs 11 & last night was a game to behold. We were the better unit, but they've got some special players who can produce those moments of magic just when needed. I was seriously impressed with some of their control & approach play. Luckily we were better over all, but they were good.

We've got a mountain to climb, but so have Real. They're seriously dangerous, but so are City. Their defence was a bit rocky at times, but we know our makeshift defence can do better.

They'll turn up ready to trample us in front of their fans, but if they didn't know it before, they know now that we're equally as dangerous.

After all the years of yoyo-ing between the PL & Championship, & the utter dross we witnessed under Pearce, I'm fuckin proud that it's my team starring on these huge, glitzy UEFA Champions League nights.

We should be ruthless in the pursuit of perfection, but we can't be too hard on ourselves for a few foibles along the way.

It was a bit odd that no one went to him, to say the least. Ederson stayed virtually on his line too.
Now that's the one thing I would say is that Ederson stayed put when he could have closed Vini down. But they had options loading up in the area & if Eddie had closed down Vini, he'd have to cross the ball & there was an unguarded goal with Zin & Laporte running toward it with the right winger & Benzema bearing down on our goal too.

There were so many permutations, anything could have happened. Ultimately it was just a brilliant meg, controlled run & a world class finish...20220427_182907.jpg

Last edited:
That was a hell of a game. Feeling confident about the next leg, blues?
Yes, yes I am. I reckon we'll go for the total control approach. Kill the game off â la Athletico. Make them desperate and wait for openings. Wear them out, then up it in the last 10 if needed.

They have a couple of great attackers, but if Kyle is fit, I think we can boss it.
Even without him, they will still be wide open at the back time and again.

I'm a fan of Laporte, but he can see Vinicius all the way there and how he doesn't close him down and take either the ball or the man before he get's to the box, is unbelevable to me.
I'd get a bollocking if i let that happen playing on sunday's, back in the day.
Unfortunately he has history of fuck ups whenever we get to the latter stages. He cost us a couple of goals last night. Still. Great game and we won.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.