10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s our record been with him in the team this year? Although I don’t think he’s done great in terms of direct goal involvements, I do think he’s very very good in terms of creating space for others and they’ve capitalised on it most times he’s played.

This is going to be a long one, feel free to ignore if you're not into stats. Disclaimer, I'm just quickly adding them up off transfrmarkt so apologies if I'm slightly off anywhere.

I'm including matches where he came off the bench as him playing, just for ease of the maths.

And I've taken the details for Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup only.

So across those 3 major competitions in the 33 matches he's appeared in, we've won 23, drew 5, lost 5, scored 82, conceded 27.

And in the same competitions in the 17 matches he hasn't appeared in, we've won 14, lost 1, drew 2, scored 43, conceded 13.

So with him, we win 2.24 points per game, scoring 2.49 goals and conceding 0.82.
And without him, we win 2.59 points per game, scoring 2.53 goals and conceding 0.76.

So the headline is we've been slightly worse with him than without him, but it's actually very close. We can probably make arguments either way about the quality of opponents faced and not faced, the strength of the rest of the line up, and to what extent Jack or the person playing in his place influenced each match.

But the raw numbers say we've been a little worse with him, but either way on average we win by over 1.5 goals. I'd argue that's pretty good going for a player who's joined one of the best teams in the world, with a style of play it famously takes a long time to adapt to, when he's by his own admission felt he's struggled a bit this year.

Out of interest, I compared these figures with the first season of Mahrez, a player Grealish has tended to be compared unfavourably with in this thread. Same rules - any appearance counts as a match played, and I'm looking at the same 3 competitions.

Total played: 38. Won 30, drew 3, lost 5, scored 108, conceded 26.
Total not played: 16. Won 15, lost 1, scored 41, conceded 11.

With him per game: 2.45 points, scored 2.84, conceded 0.68
Without him per game: 2.81 points, scored 2.56, conceded 0.69.

As near as makes no difference, it's the same sort of comparable difference as Grealish has. Yeah, we scored more goals with Mahrez than without him, but still we were winning more points without him (and generally back then we were scoring a little more, winning our matches by more like 2 goals).

This is going to be a long one, feel free to ignore if you're not into stats. Disclaimer, I'm just quickly adding them up off transfrmarkt so apologies if I'm slightly off anywhere.

I'm including matches where he came off the bench as him playing, just for ease of the maths.

And I've taken the details for Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup only.

So across those 3 major competitions in the 33 matches he's appeared in, we've won 23, drew 5, lost 5, scored 82, conceded 27.

And in the same competitions in the 17 matches he hasn't appeared in, we've won 14, lost 1, drew 2, scored 43, conceded 13.

So with him, we win 2.24 points per game, scoring 2.49 goals and conceding 0.82.
And without him, we win 2.59 points per game, scoring 2.53 goals and conceding 0.76.

So the headline is we've been slightly worse with him than without him, but it's actually very close. We can probably make arguments either way about the quality of opponents faced and not faced, the strength of the rest of the line up, and to what extent Jack or the person playing in his place influenced each match.

But the raw numbers say we've been a little worse with him, but either way on average we win by over 1.5 goals. I'd argue that's pretty good going for a player who's joined one of the best teams in the world, with a style of play it famously takes a long time to adapt to, when he's by his own admission felt he's struggled a bit this year.

Out of interest, I compared these figures with the first season of Mahrez, a player Grealish has tended to be compared unfavourably with in this thread. Same rules - any appearance counts as a match played, and I'm looking at the same 3 competitions.

Total played: 38. Won 30, drew 3, lost 5, scored 108, conceded 26.
Total not played: 16. Won 15, lost 1, scored 41, conceded 11.

With him per game: 2.45 points, scored 2.84, conceded 0.68
Without him per game: 2.81 points, scored 2.56, conceded 0.69.

As near as makes no difference, it's the same sort of comparable difference as Grealish has. Yeah, we scored more goals with Mahrez than without him, but still we were winning more points without him (and generally back then we were scoring a little more, winning our matches by more like 2 goals).

Great post, thank you!

That doesnt sound anything like the player who was terrorising defences at Villa.....i wonder why?
Probably because he's not playing in a counter attacking team with acres of space to run in to anymore.

Your assertion that Sterling is a 'passenger' is only just topped by a poster yesterday who claimed Foden was 'anonymous' against Leeds
Ahhh,makes sense now.....and i'm more than happy to see we disagree,again.

Another know nowt even gave you a 'like' to add weight to that opinion ;-)

Maybe because he wasnt? Certainly not consistently ....I dont even remember him performing against us when we played they.....I remember a goal he scored against the rags once (curled one in from the right hand side of the area I think) but I dont believe her was terrorising anyone on a consistent basis.

At present what I see from him is a lot of controlled possession (probably why Pep wants him) and movement to create space for others but nothing more....Foden for instance is a class or 2 above him in every department however, as is Bernardo...KDB goes without saying. Grealish is offering very little in terms of attacking threat
He wasn't as influential against top teams i agree,but that is understandable when the quality of opposition is that much greater.He still provided moments of brilliance,gained his team ground,and brought others into the attack with his hold up play,while also winning set pieces with his direct running and dribbling ability - all that has seeminglyand disappointingly,been coached out of his game.

It was a very strange signing if we were never going to play to his strengths.

Probably because he's not playing in a counter attacking team with acres of space to run in to anymore.
That wasn't always the case at Villa,he quite often caused havoc from a standing start while camped on the opposition box.

His game and instruction has been changed by Pep,the maverick genius has been blunted.

I think even Pep would smile at talk of a genius, a greatly talented player but a genius?
View attachment 41992
Won games on his own,and had his peers naming him as the most talented player they had ever seen.
Like it,or not....and even though we are not getting the best out of him right now....his ability is genius (an exceptional skill in a particular activity)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.