10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is interesting but typical of the forum.

No one can deny that we need to see more from Jack but his performances are generally better than they are being credited. He is quite obviously a player adapting to a very different situation to the one he came from.

What none of us knows is exactly what Pep is asking of him but Pep doesn't seem exactly unhappy with his contribution.

I'd say he plays safe too often but that may be down to how he is being asked to play: the same could often be said for other players.

Only KDB is making more key passes per game than Jack but Jack is not racking up the assists in the same way; some of that may be down to the quality of the passes but - with City's finishing - it could also be bad luck on Jack's part.

He's a gifted footballer who has had a steady season in a great side; that is actually not bad at all but it's not spetacular; however, you would think from some of the comments that he is stinking the place out and he is not.
While I agree with most of what you ahve written we dont know if Pep is happy or not...Pep rarely if ever calls players out publicly
Agree on the playing safe far too often bit.....he definitely needs to be more positive with his passing and also have a go at goal on occasions....take charge!

Id say foden,Mahrez, bernardo and KDB are gifted......Id say Grealish needs to work hard to become anywhere near their level at any element of the game

moments of brilliance anyone can do....even on a park on a Sunday.

I grant you he didnt have the team around him at Villa but now he does...and he at present looks out of place by a long shot.....KDB, Bernardo, Foden all miles ahead of him in terms of ability to influence the game and individual skill as well....Add to that Mahrez as well...even Sterling who is frustrating at times provides a threat and a danger (he hasnt been great this season)
Grealish at present isnt anywhere near to the level of these guys either as an individual or as part of the team...foden is 5 years younger and already a far better player at present,

And the line about his skill being coached out of him...are you seriously suggesting that Pep is at fault here? Pep is well known for improving players both as individuals and how they fit into his system of how he wants to play..

The only thing I agree with you on is that it was a very strange purchase ...full stop but Im hoping it proves otherwise
Foden is ahead but he's had years with Pep, and yet Pep still doesn't think he's quite ready to move into a central midfield position. So the fact in his fist year Pep isn't ready to trust Grealish in the position I think he'll end up in is no surprise. Personally I think both Grealish and Foden will end up more centrally, and we'll see the best of them.

While I agree with most of what you ahve written we dont know if Pep is happy or not...Pep rarely if ever calls players out publicly
Agree on the playing safe far too often bit.....he definitely needs to be more positive with his passing and also have a go at goal on occasions....take charge!

Id say foden,Mahrez, bernardo and KDB are gifted......Id say Grealish needs to work hard to become anywhere near their level at any element of the game

And yet Mahrez, Foden and Bernardo have more unsuccessful touches than Jack and create less chances (in the league).

Jack also gets fouled way more than them and that is a reflection of the threat he poses to opposition defenders.

Emi Martinez (who's played with both) described him as "Messi with a right foot" - obviously not in terms of achievements, but in terms of style and skill set. He also called him the best player he's ever seen, presumably except for Messi.

I'm comfortable talking about a lot of top players as possessing genius, or specific actions as demonstrating genius.

But to BE a genius, you have to use those skills to achieve at the highest level.

There's a million reasons I'm sad that Villa aren't regularly challenging for trophies, and one of them is because the greatest player we've produced in my lifetime has had to go elsewhere in order to reach his potential.

Maybe in a few years' time we'll be able to call him a genius. But he's got to find a way to put himself in that conversation.
please tell me you are agreeing with someone who compared him to Messi!!!!

Messi is a generational and possible once in a lifetime talent........he is above everyone else....The likes of David Silva are world class and a step above most but Messi is on another level to ANYONE else to have ever played the game.....we may never see the like again

Jack Grealish, if indeed you are going with this aint fit to wipe shit off Messi's boots let alone be compared to him!

He is a decent premiership footballer...that is it at present.

He has nowhere near the skill set of messi....dribbling, shooting range of passing pressing work rate (we are talking prime messi with this one not the one you are seeing now) even ball retention which is one of Grealish's strong points....Messi stands head and shoulders above Grealish in ALL categories

Fuck me...foden stands head and shoulders above him in all these categories as well at present .,,,Mason Mount does if we are looking at other young English players

And yet Mahrez, Foden and Bernardo have more unsuccessful touches than Jack and create less chances (in the league).

Jack also gets fouled way more than them and that is a reflection of the threat he poses to opposition defenders.
no its refelction of him holding onto the ball longer and falling over easier!

its also a reflection of Grealish taking the easy option with his passes as opposed to the other 3 trying to take the harder option

Foden is ahead but he's had years with Pep, and yet Pep still doesn't think he's quite ready to move into a central midfield position. So the fact in his fist year Pep isn't ready to trust Grealish in the position I think he'll end up in is no surprise. Personally I think both Grealish and Foden will end up more centrally, and we'll see the best of them.
Ive no idea what Pep's plan is for Grealish but I think he often started on the left for Villa with more license to roam...even the youtibe video someone else posted before seemed to show him playing from the left more so Im not sure why anyone thinks he is going to be playing centrally soon....KDB, Bernardo are way out infront of him for this one...Gundo up until this season as well....

Foden is 5-6 years younger than Grealish...Grealish has a lot more experiene of prem football than foden and yet still isnt being played there...Foden plays better as the false 9 as well and that involves dropping deeper centrally for a part of that role

He dived a lot at villa and he does it here , buying the foul if you rather , that is not playing football

As someone who only follows City and not really watch other teams I know very little about Grealish.

Sadly for me it started wrong with how the signing was made, than that greet the crowd like he was some pop star. I didnt like that and seemed very unCity like.

It seemed like he was being made the biggest signing we had made to date.

Yes it takes 12 months to get Pep tactics, but to be totally honest I havent seen why we bought him so far. Seems to slow to release the ball and to keep the move flowing.

Hopefully he hits the ground running next year and I can see why Pep wanted him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.