It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Hell of a lot of money for a player who is only a bit part and we will never get any value back from. 3/4 years playing back up at City ruins his career and we are left with a 30 something player with no value. Not for me.

30m isnt expensive for a peak age England International who has the level of ability and attributes we are looking for.

If we arent going to allow youth a chance.....Who would be a better choice?

Yeh I don't really get Gus' (or anyone) crusade to sign rice or a world class 6 . We just don't have the space for 2 world class 6s. Are both rodri/rice going to split their games equally and anyone here legit think they'll be satisfied... We only had 2 world class 6s with ferna and rodri last year becauase it was the transition phase of the role. No player of rodri or rices quality will accept being on the sideline for 20-30+ games. The whole reason why we wanted a Pogba or De jong us because they can do all 3 midfield roles to a certain extent.
At this point I have to assume this is trolling? You are putting words on my mouth when I am advocating for PRECISELY the opposite

I have to be honest and admit that I'm going to be a little disappointed if we bring in Phillips, after there were rumors about De Jong and specially when/if Liverpool sign Tchouameni. De Jong can play 6 and 8, suits us perfectly, Barcelona have financial problems and they are probably interested in Sterling, Jesus or Mahrez. If that the case I much rather give Romeo Lavia a chance
De Jong is a weird player who is neither Pep's 6 nor 8. Gained his reputation at Ajax playing as a 'libero' shifting between defence and midfield. He's basically a 'Pirlo' with a dribbling ability, a deep lying playmaker whose main strength is connecting defence and attack.

As an 8, he hasn't set the world alight at Barca, lacks playmaking instincts in the final 3rd and is currently in the shade of his teammate Pedri. As a lone 6, he isn't positionally disciplined enough, so old and barely running Busi is preferred.

Initially Pep wanted De Jong as a lone pivot material. But now, having fully integrated Rodrigo, we simply don't need such an expensive understudy to him. And don't forget he had chosen Bartomeu's Barcelona over Pep's City project and was happily fucking about in Spain while Rodri worked hard to improve under Pep's guidance. Why would you want such a player in the team?

Besides, you have to take squad planning into account.
We have enough players for two '8' spots - KdB, Grealish, Bernardo, Foden, Gundo. Add Bellingham as a rumoured transfer target next year. What we need is Rodri's capable backup. Reliable, but knowing his place in the hierarchy. Phillips arguably suits it better than glamorous FDJ.

Do some not realize it will be pep pushing for these signings? Maybe the Haaland deal has eaten into the budget? Maybe the big pay rises for Rodri and Foden have eaten budget? Maybe Sterling isn’t leaving and this can’t be used in a deal for de Jong? Maybe pep was told it was de Jong this year or Bellingham next and he’s chosen to keep Gundogan for next season and then sign Bellingham?

30m isnt expensive for a peak age England International who has the level of ability and attributes we are looking for.

If we arent going to allow youth a chance.....Who would be a better choice?
Well the answer for me is we should be giving youth a chance. Whether Lavia is ready yet i am not sure, but if he isn't then there are some great young options out there who would allow us to not only have a very good young player as back up to Rodri, but also the potential to become an absolute superstar. We sign Phillips, we are accepting mediocracy and thats as good as he's getting.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.