Bluemoon Angling Thread

Great report and pictures, and a super day's fishing.

Don't you just love clear water, despite it's difficulty to catch in?
There is something very special about it when you can see everything that is going on and the fish can too. I obviously gave a couple of them a laugh on Saturday.

Picture the scene..... I was in a single man boat which is brilliant because you can cast where you like without worrying about your boat partner. ...I had spotted a rising fish 20 yards off the prow so thought if i made my way from front to back, I would have a better chance of casting too it.....so off I went, legs over the boat seat, I thought if I do it gradually and quietly like a heron I will have my chance. So slowly I eased my way forward until I was sitting on by boat box...so far so good......trout rises again and I cover him perfectly....

unfortunately for me the forward motion of the cast had unsettled the boat box and it tipped backwards depositing me with a mighty crash (I am a big lad) on by back in the bottom of the boat, staring up at the perfect blue sky and sand martins wheeling above me. Did anyone spot this faux pas? You bet, I was surrounded by boats and I could hear concerned voices which quickly turned to belly laughs as I arose with as much dignity as possible and gave the surrounding guys a thumbs up to show that I was fine.

Anyhow. During all of this farce, like a good angler I protected my fly rod at all times. My line was still out straight and the very second I gave my little bow of thanks to my fellow fly buddies I must have moved the line, the rod arched and the line shot away and two rainbow trout leapt simultaneously as each of them had taken a buzzer. In fishing parlance its called an 'induced take'. If the belly laughs were loud before my audience was in full meltdown by this time as I limped round the boat trying to land the two trout who had obviously felt sorry for my predicament and decided to cheer me up.

I only managed to land one of the scaly little buggers, the other snapped a dropper taking my buzzer as a prize.

One of the lads on the boat was in all probability filming all this as it happened so if you come across a You Tube video with an old gadge with a suave white beard falling on his arse and playing 2 trout, please let me know....

There is something very special about it when you can see everything that is going on and the fish can too. I obviously gave a couple of them a laugh on Saturday.

Picture the scene..... I was in a single man boat which is brilliant because you can cast where you like without worrying about your boat partner. ...I had spotted a rising fish 20 yards off the prow so thought if i made my way from front to back, I would have a better chance of casting too it.....so off I went, legs over the boat seat, I thought if I do it gradually and quietly like a heron I will have my chance. So slowly I eased my way forward until I was sitting on by boat box...so far so good......trout rises again and I cover him perfectly....

unfortunately for me the forward motion of the cast had unsettled the boat box and it tipped backwards depositing me with a mighty crash (I am a big lad) on by back in the bottom of the boat, staring up at the perfect blue sky and sand martins wheeling above me. Did anyone spot this faux pas? You bet, I was surrounded by boats and I could hear concerned voices which quickly turned to belly laughs as I arose with as much dignity as possible and gave the surrounding guys a thumbs up to show that I was fine.

Anyhow. During all of this farce, like a good angler I protected my fly rod at all times. My line was still out straight and the very second I gave my little bow of thanks to my fellow fly buddies I must have moved the line, the rod arched and the line shot away and two rainbow trout leapt simultaneously as each of them had taken a buzzer. In fishing parlance its called an 'induced take'. If the belly laughs were loud before my audience was in full meltdown by this time as I limped round the boat trying to land the two trout who had obviously felt sorry for my predicament and decided to cheer me up.

I only managed to land one of the scaly little buggers, the other snapped a dropper taking my buzzer as a prize.

One of the lads on the boat was in all probability filming all this as it happened so if you come across a You Tube video with an old gadge with a suave white beard falling on his arse and playing 2 trout, please let me know....
Haha. I can just visualise it. More than any other sport, angling provides constant opportunities to laugh at your mates' downfall. Or to make an arse of yourself like you did, although hooking the trout allows you to claim that you did it on purpose.

Ha ha, brilliant !

As regards the clear water, you can imagine that, as a coarse fisherman, I was like a cat watching a canary with those shoals of large roach and perch swimming around and under the boat.

Over the years I’ve caught several trout whilst I was netting a fish for some one else or maybe dealing with some line management (knots), often the fly has been really close to the boat and half submerged

Over the years I’ve caught several trout whilst I was netting a fish for some one else or maybe dealing with some line management (knots), often the fly has been really close to the boat and half submerged
Reminds me of the time i was fishing the river Dane. Was just about to cast out a small feeder but before i did i always hold the reel spool with my index finger and tug the line to make sure it's running through the rings. (good tip) i realised the line had wrapped around the tip so I just plonked the feeder at the water's edge and pushed my rod back to untangle a couple of turns on the rod tip.

I soon freed the line and when i tried reeling in the feeder to cast out again the rod arched round solid and the clutch started screaming on my reel. And a couple of minutes later I had a lively 10 lb 2 oz barbel in the net. I don't think it realised it had been hooked because it normally would have took a lot longer than 2 minutes. I don't know who was more surprised, me or the barbel: )

I have a fishing buddy who’s party trick when things are really tough is he grabs the fly line into a cupped hand, pretends he is on the phone and says ‘hi you scally little bastards, it’s John on the line. Play nice or it’s depth charge time’. Honestly, the number of times he has had hook ups whilst performing that nonsense is scary.

Just watching the Rangers match and walked into the kitchen to put a cup in the sink without the light on. Trood half of my boilie grinder and instantly felt the pain from its jagged diamond shaped teeth. Fuckin ouch!!. Fortunately i took my weight off my right foot straight away and search forward nearly smashing the cup on the worktop and ending up heap on the floor.

I fished a stillwater at Chirk and the upper Dee near Bala last week. I caught fish......
I know its a shock!
The Wye is down to its bones, I gave it a half hearted go earlier in the week for salmon and had 4 out of season chub, 4 shad (which are illegal to fish for) and one smolt.
Hopefully not the only smolt in the river!

My brother has convinced me to dig my boat seats and drogue out of the garage and to go to Lyn Clywedog with him next week.
I will get some FAB's.... any other advice on fly choice, fellow fluff chuckers?

:)

I fished a stillwater at Chirk and the upper Dee near Bala last week. I caught fish......
I know its a shock!
The Wye is down to its bones, I gave it a half hearted go earlier in the week for salmon and had 4 out of season chub, 4 shad (which are illegal to fish for) and one smolt.
Hopefully not the only smolt in the river!

My brother has convinced me to dig my boat seats and drogue out of the garage and to go to Lyn Clywedog with him next week.
I will get some FAB's.... any other advice on fly choice, fellow fluff chuckers?

:)
If they are feeding on the surface make sure you have some emergers, cdc buzzers or top hats or the like. Flies that will settle right in the surface film. Some hoppers, a daddy or two. Buzzers of course. Some Diawls. Fish both behind your FaB of which I would always have Biscuit/sunburst, Tequila, just plain Sunburst. Good luck mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.