Elon Musk buys Twitter

I suppose he’s welcome to ask this of EAW staff, and he has a point about factory workers not having an option.
Of all the discussion around working from home, this one has to be the stupidest argument of the lot though. Some people can't do their jobs from home, so no-one else should be allowed to because it's not fair. I reckon the people making this argument were the same people who had to be bought a present on their sibling's birthday so they didn't throw a wobbler.

As always though, the market will decide. Apple have already lost a top executive to Google after insisting he comes back to the office. Work from home on the same salary seems to be the new way of poaching all of your rivals' top talent nowadays.

Of all the discussion around working from home, this one has to be the stupidest argument of the lot though. Some people can't do their jobs from home, so no-one else should be allowed to because it's not fair. I reckon the people making this argument were the same people who had to be bought a present on their sibling's birthday so they didn't throw a wobbler.

As always though, the market will decide. Apple have already lost a top executive to Google after insisting he comes back to the office. Work from home on the same salary seems to be the new way of poaching all of your rivals' top talent nowadays.
Well, I didn't say "no-one else should be allowed to" (though Musk effectively did) -- it's just an interesting question and I can see how some punch-the-clock folks in manufacturing or services could be miffed. It may be tied to wealth disparity or a white vs. blue collar issue here. But of course it's not like office workers don't always have perks -- they aren't, e.g., very likely to get run over by a forklift in the warehouse. But the time perk (no commute) is a pretty big one for remoters. I agree that among lots of white collar workers who can do their jobs remotely, the market will decide, and that good people are hard enough to find for nearly any job in the States, at least for the moment.

Well, I didn't say "no-one else should be allowed to" (though Musk effectively did) -- it's just an interesting question and I can see how some punch-the-clock folks in manufacturing or services could be miffed. It may be tied to wealth disparity or a white vs. blue collar issue here. But of course it's not like office workers don't always have perks -- they aren't, e.g., very likely to get run over by a forklift in the warehouse. But the time perk (no commute) is a pretty big one for remoters. I agree that among lots of white collar workers who can do their jobs remotely, the market will decide, and that good people are hard enough to find for nearly any job in the States, at least for the moment.
Yeah I wasn't saying you were saying that. Just that I've heard that argument from some people. But yeah, there's definitely an element of jealousy and people not wanting others to have a benefit that they don't get. The other one you sometimes hear is "think of the cleaners," the argument being that if all of these offices close, then all of those supporting businesses like cleaning companies and city centre cafes will go bust. Personally, I do a job that has to be done in person (for the most part), and I'd love to not have to share a train or a road with a bunch of people who could work from home.

Our place has just told us that we have to come back for 50% of the week and to be honest I can understand why. The union has agreed to it without argument because it sorts the big fairness disparity problem between the work from home and manufacturing site based folk.

I think working from home is a good thing but it shouldn't be 100%. It's okay in an online company or with 100% computer type work but for anything involving physical products you sometimes just have to be physically present. For really lean companies like Tesla I don't understand how you can improve or develop a car without standing next to it or driving it at somepoint.

I think working from home has given people massive increases to their productivity and wellbeing but it has really reduced their effectiveness and the value they bring. The ideal environment for me is a hybrid one where you can go in, ask questions, fiddle with products etc but also you can then go home to get the work done in peace.

On Musk himself well he's not perfect but no-one can deny what he's achieved. I admire him far more than your average Apple or Google CEO who exist solely to extract your money. Musk is a Steve Jobs character really and Jobs would hate the idea of people working from home whilst Apple makes shite products which they now do.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.