Wildlife

There's a kite that flies around outside my window sometimes. Little fucker flies for just long enough for me to get my camera and get of the settings right, and then fucks off.

Live by River Wandle in south London. Literally within 5 min walk out door got foxes, squirrels plus all sorts of birds ranging from crows, ducks, moorhens, herons, egrets, robins, sparrows, geese, woodpeckers and I've see one kingfisher. Also in river got perch and other species such as barbel (I've only seen perch)

Last edited:
Yesterday was waiting for a guy with a crane moving a huge log over the road, was stopped for about 5 minutes when a weasel ran out next to me, stopped, looked at me and ran back into the wall. He then stuck his head out and proceeded to watch the proceedings. I had a little chat with him like you do, he nodded and went back into the wall. Nice little fella.....
Typical Weasel behaviour. Will run off from you,but always return ,out of curiosity to have a look.
Not seen a weasel or Stoat for years mind you.

Typical Weasel behaviour. Will run off from you,but always return ,out of curiosity to have a look.
Not seen a weasel or Stoat for years mind you.
Get loads round here, sitting on walls, running across the road. Get mink by the river and have seen 4 otters over the years, even followed one up the stream. It was hunting, presumably for eels, the weather was pouring down with rain and I had 4 dogs on leads, I was about 10 ft away for 2 or 3 minutes and it didn't know I was there...amazing sight. Others I have seen in the main river. Difficult to see but they leave a trail of small bubbles and in the clear water, again, look amazing.

Driving home tonight I saw what I immediately recognised as a juvenile magpie hopping along the pavement. 30 years up the road I saw a massive cat. Two adult magpies were standing facing it off, flying at it and making a racket. I couldn’t believe how brave they were. I stopped the car and got out. The juvenile had obviously just fledged and couldn’t fly properly, the cat was stalking it and the magpies were trying to see it off. I tried to save the baby but if flapped off into a bush behind a fence and I couldn’t get to it. The cat got behind the same fence.

the outcome was Inevitable and there was nothing I could do.
Cats are the biggest kilkers of birds.all year round.

I saw a stranded fledging magpie 2weeks ago while out for a run.
An adult was watching out for it.so I moved on.
By the time I had turned back round to look mins later there was a Carrion Crown quartering the ground above the fledgling and several jackdaws were arriving to investigate proceedings...as they do.1st one,then 2 and more as they back each other up unfalteringly

Must have been traumatic for baby magpie...the other side of the coin for these bird killers.

It's rare to see Carrion Crows fly in this fashion, (ie like a Hen Harrier,) but their Ariel dexterity is incredible ,has amazed me over the years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.