Wildlife

Driving home tonight I saw what I immediately recognised as a juvenile magpie hopping along the pavement. 30 years up the road I saw a massive cat. Two adult magpies were standing facing it off, flying at it and making a racket. I couldn’t believe how brave they were. I stopped the car and got out. The juvenile had obviously just fledged and couldn’t fly properly, the cat was stalking it and the magpies were trying to see it off. I tried to save the baby but if flapped off into a bush behind a fence and I couldn’t get to it. The cat got behind the same fence.

the outcome was Inevitable and there was nothing I could do.

A few weeks back I saw 2 foxes strolling down our Street at 10.00hrs on a Sunday morning. I've seen and heard them at night but never during the day. Looked like a Mother with large Cub.

Been up in North Yorkshire a couple of years now, winter months bring us fantastic starling murmurations, not seen the like since I was a kid. Amazing sight from a distance, grim watching if underneath. Unless you’re Ashley Young.

My mate waiting for his tea !

Attachments

• IMG-20220601-WA0007[1].jpg
    IMG-20220601-WA0007[1].jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 11
Funny just reading this thread & wondered what the noise outside the window was, a parent blue tit was showing three young fledglings how to find grubs, spiders etc on a rose bush, quite comical to see the little birds swinging around on the long thin shoots, just hope the magpies are busy somewhere else for a while, cheered me up no end :-)
(now does anyone know how to kill a mole, the little bastard keep digging up my lawn!)

Driving home tonight I saw what I immediately recognised as a juvenile magpie hopping along the pavement. 30 years up the road I saw a massive cat. Two adult magpies were standing facing it off, flying at it and making a racket. I couldn’t believe how brave they were. I stopped the car and got out. The juvenile had obviously just fledged and couldn’t fly properly, the cat was stalking it and the magpies were trying to see it off. I tried to save the baby but if flapped off into a bush behind a fence and I couldn’t get to it. The cat got behind the same fence.

the outcome was Inevitable and there was nothing I could do.
You did save other baby birds that the juvenile magpie would have invariably eaten :-)
Nature - red in teeth and claw and beak.

Funny just reading this thread & wondered what the noise outside the window was, a parent blue tit was showing three young fledglings how to find grubs, spiders etc on a rose bush, quite comical to see the little birds swinging around on the long thin shoots, just hope the magpies are busy somewhere else for a while, cheered me up no end :-)
(now does anyone know how to kill a mole, the little bastard keep digging up my lawn!)
You can buy traps from decent garden centres/farm suppliers or on line. They make a lovely pair of trousers if you catch enough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.