Do you support the RMT?

There is no doubt at all that Mick Lynch is becoming a working class hero, his evisceration of Tories and the RW media has been sublime.

A Com Res Poll on support for the RMT action is remarkably similar to the one on here

66% in favour , 34% against.
As you are probably aware, this thread is patrolled by the grammar and spelling Police.
On that note can I please nominate you for word of the day, evisceration.
As a regular listener to the Today programme and the gobbledegook when the Bishops speak in General Synod that word is up there with the best.
It reminds a bit of the Union leaders when they went on the tele in the 70’s desperately trying to sound educated by using words that you never hear in everyday life, certainly never by the members.
The good old Queens English is alive and kicking , well done for bringing a bit of culture to the thread.

I'd hazard a guess that 90% of the public are not aware the railways need OT and rest day working in order to fulfil their published timetables. Schapps may also be unaware, or he could just be stirring the shit.
Government minister, unaware? Its actually highly probable, given the evidence we’ve seen over the last few years.

I’ve already said I don’t begrudge what you did but don’t say that people should just look after themselves and not rely on government when you benefitted massively from a government decision and bailout.

As for my research, it was me you had the discussion with, and it took all of 2 minutes using the search function to check and remind myself so it really wasn’t that much effort, but worth it to demonstrate your hypocrisy.
I did look after myself. What were you expecting me to do if it gone tits up.
Gone cap in hand to Brown & Darling, excuse me Sirs I seem to have made a dreadful mistake.
You put temptation my way by bailing the banks out and I foolishly gambled because of your generosity.
Can I have my money back please as things haven’t gone to plan.
I took a calculated gamble on particular circumstances at the time.
It paid off , lucky me , that’s how gambling works.

the more i listen to the union boss the more i like him.
I'd hazard a guess that 90% of the public are not aware the railways need OT and rest day working in order to fulfil their published timetables. Schapps may also be unaware, or he could just be stirring the shit.
other areas of the public sector rely on people doing o/t too.

Gone cap in hand to Brown & Darling, excuse me Sirs I seem to have made a dreadful mistake.
You put temptation my way by bailing the banks out and I foolishly gambled because of your generosity.
I’d imagine you’d view the state very differently, had it not.

I’d imagine you’d view the state very differently, had it not.
Nope that’s the gamble.
Made money, lost money and made it again, all my own work, nobody to blame, only my Mrs to thank.
She has stood by me and has backed me to the hilt in some very scary times particularly when chasing losses by buying more, when others with less bottle and faith,would have run a mile.
She now reaps the benefits fortunately.

Please tell me where I have ever said I am not interested in politics
You seem to be making it up on the hoof.
What I may have indicated is, I have made sure that I take full responsibility for my own actions, I don’t rely on a politician to help run my life and when things don’t go to plan I don’t go around blaming anyone else including Boris & Co
I find it helps keeps me sane.
''I am not bothered either way to be honest. I have never taken any decisions based on either who is running the Country or our position within the rest of the World. If anyone is expecting a politician of any persuasion to make a massive impact on their life they are in deep shit.''

These are fair points. Unfortunately, I am pushed for time and am unable to do more than paint in broad brush strokes so I'll just reiterate where I stand right now on this. I have highlighted point 4 because that relates the most to the theme of this thread.

1. Since the late 70's neoliberalism has been in the ascendant.

2. It has resulted in rising levels of inequality pretty much everywhere it has been applied and has not delivered the levels of economic growth that were achieved prior to that time when Keynesian economics was the preferred model. That growth was actually higher even during the period of stagflation in the 70's.

3. Much economic policy-making from this angle is based on the model of homo economicus - the view that humans are narrowly individualistic, rational but self-interested creatures. This view has been shown to be demonstrably false by a range of multidisciplinary research.

4. It is the inequalities engendered by neoliberalism that have brought us to this point and the current strikes.

5. The need for facts in politics is predicated on a vision of a better future. They are required to underpin an aspiring politician’s vision, to demonstrate that it is achievable and will not collapse.

6.But what happens when the notion that free markets can deliver prosperity collapses, as it did in 2008? What do you turn to when you start to realize that this project has only increased economic inequality globally?

7. When that future disappears, what is the point of facts? Why would you want them when they tell you that your children will be poorer than you, or that climate change will have maybe the last word? Why should you trust the purveyors of facts, namely, 'left-wing' academics or that cabal of scientists who work for the IPCC?

8. Here's a possible answer: you might turn to politicians who make a show of disparaging facts, who liberate us from any appeal to an evidence-based future. Instead, you turn to what Tim Snyder has referred to as 'the politics of eternity', and Svetlana Boym as 'restorative nostalgia'.

9. If you are Putin, you get your media to promote a nostalgic vision of a restored Russian empire and start invading other countries to bring this about. If you are Trump, it involves making America great again. Turkish and Hungarian media promote similar phantoms, and with us in the UK it's about marching brightly into a future in which we have taken back control of something or other and restored old weights and measures.

10. Of course, there's nothing wrong with getting a bit nostalgic now and again. It only becomes dangerous when it entails the striving to recover a lost past in a manner that substitutes an unreflective emotivism for critical thinking, and the denial of an unpalatable future.

11. It is this type of nostalgia or 'politics of eternity' that is all that is left, and the last thing that is required by those who peddle these fabricated, chimerical pasts, are facts.

12. This is the brand of politics that has arguably taken hold in Moscow, in Budapest in Washington DC and now the UK. It's a distracting last gasp, one based very much on creating an 'Us' and 'Them' mentality, and that might even need shoring up with a bit more authoritarianism when it too starts to go sour. It is no surprise to me that it has summoned up all this discontent that is issuing in strike action.

Got to leave it there.

There's one last thing: I don't hold the views I describe above in any way rigidly. All I have tried to do is say what I think is going on right now and I could be wrong about a lot of this stuff.

Cheers, appreciate the response mate.

I’ll direct my main response to your point 4 as it’s relevant to this thread and many of your other points are inherently related to it.

Keynesian economics centre around the worker being paid what they are worth to the company. When times are good wages and prices go up and we all become richer, when times aren’t so good wages and prices slow down/reduce. This worked and created social structure and prosperity that was more evenly spread. Unions used collective bargaining to ensure workers were paid what they were worth to the company as they carried more clout than the individual. So far so good , everything was moving along nicely.

Then the unions stopped looking at what a worker was worth to the company and started creating worth based on other factors some fair, many not. In short unions failed in their core responsibilities of being correctors of market failure (where a company didn’t pay workers what they were worth) to actually creating market distortions by front running fictional earnings. So now unions weren’t saying to the company bosses “you earned £x this year, we’d like £y as the workers helped you earn that” they were saying “we’d like £y” this forced companies to put up prices to achieve £x, additionally firms were having to put conditions on these pay offers…such as increase output by z. Price rises helped create some eye watering inflation and eventually the inevitable happened and society moved from us all working along together to “everyone for themselves” (even if “everyone” in this context was a group of workers not necessarily just individuals). The social institutions and regulations that underpinned Keynesianism started to erode and neoliberalism came to the fore. In this context you can’t really be supportive of both Keynesianism and the current rail workers strike as they are incompatible.

Ah yes point 4… I was getting there ;) As you rightly point out neoliberalism has created huge gaps between rich and poor - perhaps neo-Keynesian was the right balance but the unions weren’t about to give up and we don’t have time machines. Nonetheless humans are largely greedy by nature - neoliberalism allows greed to flourish- be that greed of the left or the right, they both have “I want” lists and expect someone else to pay for it. Keynesianism failed due to greed. Neoliberalism has nearly failed due to greed once - on that point the incessant need of companies to need to earn more drives risk taking and fraud - we need to take our foot of the pedal a bit. Perhaps climate change will bring a reality check but I doubt it as we “want” the climate to be fixed but we still “want” cheap clothes, energy, holidays, food, etc. The great con of our time is politicians telling us we can have all those things and still reduce/remove climate change… bollocks, we change or huge numbers will die be that physically or their way of live… we may tut tut or shed a tear at the news, but will we really care when it’s someone else paying the price for our “wants”? There is that greed again.

So you happily benefitted from a government decision and government funding. Glad we got that sorted.

''I am not bothered either way to be honest. I have never taken any decisions based on either who is running the Country or our position within the rest of the World. If anyone is expecting a politician of any persuasion to make a massive impact on their life they are in deep shit.''
We totally agree there SB.
However in one of my first posts when I more Or less said the same as you, word for word, I was slated off for being selfish and having an
“I’m all right Jack attitude.”
It will be interesting to see if you get the same response.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.