Bands you discovered as support acts

New Order, ACR and Happy Mondays
(Glances over at ticket in 80's framed ticket collection)
Saturday 17th December 88

Afternoon
City 2 Shrewsbury 2 (Hinchcliffe scored both, inswinging corner and a penalty)

Then walk into town, beers at the Old Shambles and onto GMEX. Missed the Mondays but there in time for ACR.

Happy days
I caught the Happy Mondays but knew of them already. Hadn't really heard any ACR stuff before then but they quickly became (and still are) one of my favourite bands.

Iron Maiden supporting Judas Priest in Bristol Colston Hall 1980. The hall named after the fellow who brought wealth to Bristol, but had his statue thrown in the docks by white liberals. My tin hat is on.

Saw a brilliant Australian band called The Beths supporting Death Cab for Cutie a few years ago. Brilliant band.

Discovered Jesse Malin though him supporting Ryan Adams.
The Beths are great. Pretty sure they're Kiwis though.

I saw St Vincent (Annie Clark) supporting The National about 15 years ago before I had any idea who she was. Not a massive fan but she was fucking brilliant live and had a fantastic stage presence. Couldn't take your eyes off her.

I saw Derek trucks as a back up band to an Alice cooper cover band at the gasworks in Toronto. don’t remember the year but trucks was about 15.
Looking forward to seeing him in London in November… slightly older!!

Many years ago (1978) a group of us went to Knebworth to see Genesis.

Suitably driugged and boozed up, Tom Petty came on. Never heard of him.

He was brilliant, and I've loved listening to his music ever since.
On that subject, although I'd already discovered the late great Tom Petty by then, I went to see Bob Dylan at the NEC back in the late 1980's. First on was Roger McGuinn backed by TP & the Heartbreakers, doing old Byrds songs. Followed by TP & the Heartbreakers doing their own stuff. Followed by Dylan backed by TP & the Heartbreakers. What a gig that was and Tom & the boys really earned their money that night. Like you, I've loved Petty's music to this day. I was gutted when he passed away.

On that subject, although I'd already discovered the late great Tom Petty by then, I went to see Bob Dylan at the NEC back in the late 1980's. First on was Roger McGuinn backed by TP & the Heartbreakers, doing old Byrds songs. Followed by TP & the Heartbreakers doing their own stuff. Followed by Dylan backed by TP & the Heartbreakers. What a gig that was and Tom & the boys really earned their money that night. Like you, I've loved Petty's music to this day. I was gutted when he passed away.
I was there too......
*Glances over at 80's framed ticket collection*
Sunday 11th October but the year says 8 and the other half was on the tear off side given up on entry..... I'd say 87 or 88

Edit: just googled it and it was 87

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.