Subbuteo

I loved subbuteo in the 80s. I obviously had city teams but also had brazil, everton and sheff weds for no reason whatsoever

There was a shop in stockport called, i think, Toys n Hobbies? On princess street. That was my subbuteo stockist of choice
Toy and Hobby in Stockport must go down as the greatest Toy Shop there ever was....4 floors...spent hours (not to mention most of my Gran and Grandads pension) in there on Subbuteo and Star Wars toys...

Its a shoe shop now...and its not as big as I remember it as a kid...

Still got all my Subbuteo in a big box under my bed; I've got about 20/30 various teams, about 3 or 4 pitches, floodlights, stadiums, fencing, trophies, ball-boys etc...etc...etc. Loads of it and pretty much all of it still in their original boxes.

I was going to sell it on ebay a few years back but couldn't bear to go through all the bullshit that goes with it (photos, packaging, posting).

I've got a feeling that I've missed the boat on making any money on it as kids these days aren't interested if it's not computerised, so under the bed it'll stay.

Nah, youd make a lot - it doesnt get bought for kids, its for the dads mainly on a nostalgia trip.

Mine all went when i was about 16, and then about 20 years later my wife bought me a load of old stuff from ebay, she spent tons on it. Ive hardly used it, but its nice to have a look every now and then and show the kids.

I loved this as a kid. My dad mounted the pitch onto a massive slab of chip board for me which meant no wrinkles in the pitch as you were playing. One year (1985ish) my grandparents bought me actual working floodlights and a couple of stands with fans in as well and some mexico 86 style nets. Orange tango balls, brazil and city teams, what a game as a kid that was. We even at primary school convinced the teachers to let us organise a school cup with about 20 kids all going through group stages, semis and a final to crown a school champion.

In blackburn there was a shop that sold loads of Subbuteo stuff and id love nothing more than looking through all the green boxes of teams to try and find some really obscure teams / kits. Happy days.

it was a cardboard figure with a little metal triangle behind it, so when you flipped it forward the ball flew over its head vaguely in the direction of the wicket :)

varying between spin and seam was done by altering the angle of the little triangle
I thought that was just me with the triangle....ah well.

Loved it had numerous teams & assorted plastic add-ons, floodlights, fence, mini cups etc.

My top idea was to get some dry sand when at the seaside to give my pitch that grass only in the corners 70's look.
I put flour on the pitch to simulate snow and sugar to simulate ice.

Not sure why I didn’t bother to put mud on it to simulate …er…..mud.

Loved it. Played it loads as a kid and my dad got a piece of chipboard to put the pitch on it held down tight by drawing pins. Had the fence surround on there permanently too. Just leant it against one of my bedroom walls when not in use. Had a league in our street and played in a couple of national competitions. Had loads of teams and accessories. Peak 70s Subbuteo but we lost interest when they changed the players from heavyweights to lightweights. Bought some at a car boot the other week and you hardly ever see it there anymore.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.