UAP/UFO thread - Claims made that the US has an extraterrestrial object

I'm hoping that when they receive those early tv signals they'll remember to tape all the missing Doctor Who episodes as that would fill the gaps in my collection!

On a more serious note it seems more probable than not that the universe is teeming with life. The search for extra solar planets identifies more and more, including life friendly ones. Hydrogen appears to be the most common element in the universe, no reason why oxygen isn't as available, therefore the is likely to be water in some form out there.

Carbon would also be common according to mass spectrometry and if you put those three elements together, under the right conditions, proteins form, that can lead to amino acids.....

So there is likely to be life out there, but is it like us, or primitive, like bacteria or Martin Keown!?! Other star systems may have formed much earlier than our Solar System, perhaps lifeforms evolved formed civilizations, created technology. If so it could be at least thousands of years in advance of ours.

Space is very big, the distance and time to travel to our nearest star systems would be hundreds of years. However for a hi tec civilization with technology far in advance of ours, coming to Earth, might be much easier. Hopefully they'll be benevolent like ET, rather than say Independence Day.

However human history teaches us that whenever one technologically superior civilization encounters a less advanced one, there is usually not a good outcome for the indigenous people........

There are other places in the Solar System to explore, hopefully we can become an interstellar species, and expand our habitats.
You say
“The search for extra solar planets identifies more and more, including life friendly ones…”

In fact there has not been one exo-planet discovered that is within the Goldilocks zone for water and temperature, small enough to have similar gravity to earth that also possesses a magnetosphere, something else essential to prevent a small planet’s surface being irradiated to the point of sterilisation.

I do not disagree that the universe may be teeming with life. There could be billions of intelligent, technological species out there, but as Brian Cox postulates it may well be one per galaxy because of the seemingly almost impossible odds that the necessary conditions occur. Even one per galaxy allows for many billions of species.

You say
“The search for extra solar planets identifies more and more, including life friendly ones…”

In fact there has not been one exo-planet discovered that is within the Goldilocks zone for water and temperature, small enough to have similar gravity to earth that also possesses a magnetosphere, something else essential to prevent a small planet’s surface being irradiated to the point of sterilisation.

I do not disagree that the universe may be teeming with life. There could be billions of intelligent, technological species out there, but as Brian Cox postulates it may well be one per galaxy because of the seemingly almost impossible odds that the necessary conditions occur. Even one per galaxy allows for many billions of species.
I hadn't realised that no habitable zones have been discovered. However there is a lot of discussion on how a planet's geology is, what size from it's star it is etc which potentially may affect the definition of such zones. I think the discovery of extra solar planets is advancing all the time which hopefully will advance our knowledge of when we eventually get there!

There are huge barriers to life forming wherever we look, and if you talk of advanced intelligence, the prospects appear bleak. But the thing that gives me hope is the sheer number of star systems out there, balancing off the unlikelyhood of intelligent life!

You say

There are at least 16 known in the Goldilocks zone out of the 5000 or so known exoplanets.

things like magnetosphere's tough we're only just starting to be able to detect.

Then there's also the issue of we're judging what we think as life sustainable based on our knowledge of life. Earth like gravity for example could be a total misdirect as life could just develop around what ever gravity it has where it evolves.

plus planets outside of the goldilocks zone, if they have plenty of water and a volcanic core could still develop life. Prime example being Enceladus, a moon around Saturn, well outside the goldilock zone but had heat and liquid water under the ice surface. its entirely possible there is life there or could form there.

the criteria we're setting is just best chance.

I hadn't realised that no habitable zones have been discovered. However there is a lot of discussion on how a planet's geology is, what size from it's star it is etc which potentially may affect the definition of such zones. I think the discovery of extra solar planets is advancing all the time which hopefully will advance our knowledge of when we eventually get there!

There are huge barriers to life forming wherever we look, and if you talk of advanced intelligence, the prospects appear bleak. But the thing that gives me hope is the sheer number of star systems out there, balancing off the unlikelyhood of intelligent life!
It's difficult enough to find intelligent life on this planet, let alone others. :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.