The Album Review Club - Week #122 - (page 1438) A Black Mile To The Surface – Manchester Orchestra

Thanks to @journolud for last week's nomination - Twelve Dreams of Dr.Sardonicus by Spirit pulled in 10 reviews at an average of 6.2.

After the friendly suggestion of a bi-weekly summer schedule gained initial support and then ruffled a few feathers, I have decided to carry one with a one-album-per-week approach for those that want to take part.

@denislawsbackheel - I hope you haven't been put off, and you are welcome to make a nomination at any point during this round - just let me know if you want to slot back in at some point.

Assuming that Denis doesn't jump back in before Doogle wakes up, I invite @Mancitydoogle to step forward with the clues to his latest choice (or just post your review straight away if you want).
Sadly, I only got chance to give Doc Sardonicus a listen today.

I was really interested to hear it as Spirit are a band I've never listened to but long thought that I should: I've have a 5cd set on my Amazon wishlist since 2012 FFS. And now I know that I really should buy it.

Edit - I have ordered the 5 cd set, which includes Doc S.

Last edited:
War on Drugs played the Piece Hall in Halifax recently and I was umming and aahing about whether to go or not. Ultimately I didn’t because it was quite short notice when I found out but I wish I had.

I don’t know how I first heard them but I think they have some great songs and moments in songs. I’ve heard and like the last three albums, when I went backwards I wS less enamoured but assuming this live album covers from the start of their career I’ll be giving at least some of them another listen, possibly.

I may struggle though as I am on a Wednesday to Wednesday trip in a camper van round Pembrokeshire and South Wales. Indications so far are that connectivity might be an issue. I want to listen to this but any review might be late.
Spotify download album to phone when you get near a connection?

Live Drugs – The War on Drugs

My reaction to the song “Under The Pressure”, or rather the performance of it on this live album, is the whole album in a microcosm to me.

With this being the opening track from the Lost in the Dream album, it’s what I first heard when pointed towards this album nine years ago, and the studio version is superb – it blew me away with it’s infectious groove. When it appeared on the Bluemoon Cup thread, I asked why there was a pointless 3 minutes on the end. It’s never really bothered me because I can always hit the skip button on CD or media, but God help you if you are listening on vinyl!

But this live version takes the biscuit because whilst they’ve cut the tail to two minutes, they’d added three minutes of faff on the start. Why? And because it’s such a significant point, I’ll ask a second time, why?

Three of the best songs from Lost in the Dream feature in this live performance: “Under The Pressure”, “An Ocean In between The Waves” and “Eyes to the Wind” – and every one of them is inferior to the studio version. Not that they are bad by any means, and I did enjoy listening to them live, but there seems to be something missing when stripped of the fantastic studio production.

It feels like I am listening to “An Ocean In between The Waves” through a gauzy mix (although the subtle sax is nice in this version), “Eyes to the Wind” is a 9-minute drawn-out affair and see above for “Under The Pressure”.

On the positive side, the live guitar is excellent throughout. The songs that I’m less familiar with, particularly “Pain” are good although “Thinking of a Place” features a pointless interlude where not much happens for too long and “Buenos Aires Beach” has a different feel to the rest of the album; the structure and phrasing make it sound like a Dylan song and it’s a good listen. “Accidentally Like a Martyr” – cover version it may be but I enjoyed this one.

This album perfectly demonstrates why live albums are generally a notch or two below studio albums. There are some great songs and good performances which would have been terrific if you were at the show, but it definitely loses something when listening at home. If the album under review would have been Lost in the Dream, it would have been a slam-dunk 9. But for the live incarnation, the highest I will go is 7/10. In that way, it is a very good choice because I defy you to put on Lost in the Dream and not hear the difference between the versions of the songs.

Going by my first listen i can see me investigating the studio versions of the songs.Could have been a better recording sound wise.
The guitars sounded great though.

Going by my first listen i can see me investigating the studio versions of the songs.Could have been a better recording sound wise.
The guitars sounded great though.

Adam Granduciel's guitar sound is one of the best - very emotive somehow, as is his voice.

Unlike Rob, I love a live album, as to why?, why? Because it's an effing live version.

I have two recent TWOD studio albums but had missed this live release so will get it at some point.

Saw them live last year supporting The Rolling Stones at Hyde Park and enjoyed their performance. They aren't an exciting live act but it's good sitting in a field stuff.

"Red Eyes" is my personal favourite track.

8/10.

Adam Granduciel's guitar sound is one of the best - very emotive somehow, as is his voice.

Unlike Rob, I love a live album, as to why?, why? Because it's an effing live version.

I have two recent TWOD studio albums but had missed this live release so will get it at some point.

Saw them live last year supporting The Rolling Stones at Hyde Park and enjoyed their performance. They aren't an exciting live act but it's good sitting in a field stuff.

"Red Eyes" is my personal favourite track.

8/10.
I love a good live album as well but this recording of their songs is doing it no favours at all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.