Media Discussion - 2023/24

I'm pretty sure Garnacho will be sanctioned, with a similar punishment to Bernardo. Bernardo's incident happened on 22 September 2019, the result of the investigation was announced on 13 November, and Bernardo was suspended from the Chelsea game on 23 November - two months after the incident. We shouldn't expect the FA to say anything about their process just yet, but they aren't ignoring it.

One difference between the two incidents is apparent though. The day after the Bernardo tweet, Kick it Out issued a statement saying, "We are extremely disappointed to see the tweet posted by Bernardo Silva, which has since been deleted.

Racist stereotypes are never acceptable as 'banter', and we're shocked that someone who is a role model to millions has failed to understand the discriminatory nature of his post.

The FA have been notified and we believe that retrospective action should be taken, including mandatory education - which is vital to challenge offensive behaviour such as this".

Bernardo currently has 4.5 million Instagram followers. Garnacho has 7.6 million Instagram followers, so his tweet has much further reach. It is rather telling that the body whose purpose it is to speak out against discrimination is itself showing discrimination, by not issuing a similar condemnation of the United player.
Hope you are right about the sanction and it is already with the FA so he should get a ban.
But kick it out or the media aren't going in as hard as with Bernardo. Surprise, surprise.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...oreign-players-must-be-educated-on-uk-culture

Hope you are right about the sanction and it is already with the FA so he should get a ban.
But kick it out or the media aren't going in as hard as with Bernardo. Surprise, surprise.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...oreign-players-must-be-educated-on-uk-culture
I’m a white American woman so my opinion matters exactly 0, but I actually think Garnacho’s tweet was much worse. Garnacho should have known better - there has been tons off international press about fans using offensive monkey references toward black athletes. There is no way he was unaware of the incidents with Vini. Whereas, Bernardo’s reference seemed much more like a case of cultural misunderstanding.

Eta: I know many will say this was a joke between friends regardless, but if you have any awareness of recent events you don’t publically post that. Keep that on the group chat!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.