Are we Having a Transition Season?

As far as I was aware Gundogan didn’t stay as we didn’t offer the length of contract he wanted, but could be wrong on that one. I like that we let players go if they want pastures new as long as we receive the right fee. No point in keeping a player that doesn’t want to be here.
There was something about the contract on offer. Did he want a two year deal, and we were only offering a one year contract? Think that's what made up his mind. With hindsight, it was a bad call by the hierarchy at the club.

"he made it clear he was up for staying if the offer was right"

Rubbish, that was just PR talk, he and the club knew he was off to Barca long before the summer.

WE put a lot into Bellingham , and then the Paqueta deal collapsing put us into panic mode.

I really don't think the club knew Gundogan's decision.

Only thing that explains the quick Rice bid and then panic for Kovacic and then we panicked for Nunes after Paqueta.

Thing is Paqueta isn't even that good. There's a reason he's at West Ham and no one else wanting him.

Throw in Phillips and our midfield targets/recruitment is bizarrely very mediocre.

I'd be much more understanding if we were bedding in Lavia, Palmer and McAtee, rather than struggling like fuck because Txiki could only get our 7th choice options through the door. Bar the substitute left back we absolutely had to spend 100 fucking million on in a summer we lost two 20 G+A midfielders.

I really don't think the club knew Gundogan's decision.

Only thing that explains the quick Rice bid and then panic for Kovacic and then we panicked for Nunes after Paqueta.

Thing is Paqueta isn't even that good. There's a reason he's at West Ham and no one else wanting him.

Throw in Phillips and our midfield targets/recruitment is bizarrely very mediocre.
The club knew he was off and the rumours of the Kovacic signing started very early, that deal was sealed well before the season ended.

Walker played us because he knew we could not afford to lose another senior pro after the Gundo and Mahrez exits.

WE are very good to our players, maybe that sometimes is an issue, maybe we have to be more ruthless.
It's not just a case of being ruthless. If we have nobody in the wings that can threaten their position, then we give a negotiating advantage to the player.

Call it whatever you want, we didn’t get either of our two main targets this summer. As for bumming Susannah Reid, I’m sure you have done many times.
It’s calling it exactly what it is. Neither player wanted to come to Manchester City. Their prerogative.

The club knew he was off and the rumours of the Kovacic signing started very early, that deal was sealed well before the season ended.

That's even worse if they thought for a while that Kovacic was good enough to replace him.

It's not just a case of being ruthless. If we have nobody in the wings that can threaten their position, then we give a negotiating advantage to the player.
Should an elite club be giving Walker a deal up to his 36 birthday?

Should we not have already identified a replacement for an injury prone KDB?

Should we have forced out Phillips last summer with it quite obvious Pep did not want or rate him.?

All harsh decisions but ruthless decisions have to me made to keep at the top of the tree.

Not having a proper back up/partner to Rodri was always going to bite us hard.

Last summer ripped a hole through the heart of the team. All we can do is hope that the lads brought in to fill that hole are suitable replacements. At this moment in time tho...

We're doomed I tell ya. Doomed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.