Piccadilly Records since '76

It was such a long time ago, but it was some kind of tax/import cost dodge. Along the lines of 'damaged' goods according to the original Yank owner.
There was also a record shop in town, I can’t recall which, that would put a big white sticker on the sleeve of bargain bin records, then scribble on it in biro, but make sure that some of the biro crossed over onto the record sleeve. So, if you removed the sticker, you were left with clear rectangle, but with biro scribble around it.
I recall buying the 12” of Pulp’s ‘Countdown’ from the bargain bin there after seeing them at the Boardwalk. About 2 months later, they got big.

Did you not know it as Yanks? The Yank sold it on to the guys who changed the name.

Piccadilly Records: When in Piccadilly itself, there was a manager called John, and we got to know him well. Early days of bands releasing live VHS tapes. They were feckin expensive, and couldn't afford many, and he used to let us borrow some for a week at a time. Top bloke.

The Yank was (he passed about 3 years ago) the father of my wife's best friend.

Used to buy my concert tickets from there.

I can still picture the little grey cards in the window with the artist’s name in red ink.

The Barry Ancill Ticket Agency.

Barry was one of my late Father's school mates. I just used to ring up and he'd save me tickets for pretty much any gig. I just used to walk past the people queuing to a buy and into the office. Those were the days, none of this online Ticketmaster nonsense.

That is sad to hear mate. He was a top guy. His daughter worked in the shop too, assuming same one?
My best mate as a teenager worked there. He was like a kid in a sweet shop. Think it took him best part of an hour each way getting the bus in each Saturday and the pay wasn’t great, but he loved it. Better than my job in a sports shop anyway, or my other one in a chippy in Merseyway precinct!

Cracking shop. Somewhat related but with my son at Uni in Nottingham and relatives in Bristol they just so happened to be the two cities outside London with a Rough Trade shop.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.