A huge leap of faith.

I retired when I was 61. My plan was to finish when I was 63 but I was made redundant at the end of 2020 so that brought the plan forward by a couple of years.
I have been putting a large amount of money into my pension since I was in my 20's and now I am reaping the rewards.
No way was I working until I was 66.
Besides, you can always downsize, next door to @Blue Mist

Did similar last year, finished my contract a week after my 58th birthday, wife has a small pension, I have savings and an S&S ISA, we can live moderately well off those until state pension kicks in, thought fuck it, that's it I'm done.

Planned it out financially 3 or 4 years ago using historical stock market and inflation data with BIG safety margins, we currently are 20% ahead of where I predicted we would be financially, ie actually have more money than when I packed in work, not sure that will continue but even so, it's a happy place to be.

Now if only the missus would stop buying shit we'd be cooking

Did similar last year, finished my contract a week after my 58th birthday, wife has a small pension, I have savings and an S&S ISA, we can live moderately well off those until state pension kicks in, thought fuck it, that's it I'm done.

Planned it out financially 3 or 4 years ago using historical stock market and inflation data with BIG safety margins, we currently are 20% ahead of where I predicted we would be financially, ie actually have more money than when I packed in work, not sure that will continue but even so, it's a happy place to be.

Now if only the missus would stop buying shit we'd be cooking
I think thats an illness they all have. Mine hasn’t saved one penny despite working for 25 years.

If you want to replace work that you don't like for free time to do what you want with and you can get by without less then go for it.

I took early retirement about five years ago, with no regrets. Fitness was key. Covid helped with this, as I could do plenty of running during lockdowns.

One of our favourite things to do has been taking free holidays, in the UK, but potentially abroad too. We've been to Yorkshire, Devon, Cotswolds, Norfolk, Harrow, Hammersmith, Anglesey, Corbridge, and most recently, Prestbury. Highly recommended.

Best wishes to your friend and his wife.
Free ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.